#1 BirdFancier

BirdFancier

BirdFancier

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationSturgis, MI

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

For those of you who have bird baths, how do you keep the slime (algae?) from growing in it?  Mine gets coated with gross brown slimy stuff.  Hot weather makes it grow even faster.  It is such a job to have to scrub it with a wire brush every couple of weeks and I am wondering if there is anything that is easier you can do to combat this?  Thanks for any tips you can offer!   :)

#2 Marvelisticme

Marvelisticme

Marvelisticme

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationParadise, Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

I've read adding a little apple cider vinegar helps keep algea from growing in chicken waterers. I'm not sure there's anything you can do, other than that, that won't harm the birds. Water, in the sun, grows algea :-/
Michelle ~backyard birder (new to birding) in Paradise, Texas :rolleyes:

#3 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I have three bird baths, none of them elaborate, and I empty the water out of them every morning.  I give them a quick brushing and fill them back up.  As soon as I can see and algae on the bath, I also scrub them with Lysol Peroxide Cleaner.  Does a great job and isn't as toxic as bleach.  I think if you only have to tend to yours every couple of weeks, you are lucky.

#4 jzmtl

jzmtl

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

High pressure nozzle (or pressure washer if you have one), won't get rid of all of them but keep them from building up.

#5 BirdFancier

BirdFancier

BirdFancier

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationSturgis, MI

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!   :)

#6 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

Mine are plastic trays; i scrub them with a scrub brush and soak them in bleach solution and rinse every so often. A good spray from the hose (when we have enough water pressure for that) helps keep it at bay.

Latest lifer: Ruddy-Capped Nightingale-Thrush

#7 BirdFancier

BirdFancier

BirdFancier

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationSturgis, MI

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

My bird bath is concrete, so the algae really adheres to it.  I just scrubbed it with wire brush a few days ago, so it is good to go for another couple of weeks.  Scrubbing that thing is really a pain, and is hard on my arms and wrists!  :(  

#8 LarryTheCoder

LarryTheCoder

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationLutz, FL

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

For those of you who have bird baths, how do you keep the slime (algae?) from growing in it?  Mine gets coated with gross brown slimy stuff.  Hot weather makes it grow even faster.  It is such a job to have to scrub it with a wire brush every couple of weeks and I am wondering if there is anything that is easier you can do to combat this?  Thanks for any tips you can offer!   :)

Copper.  Algae does not grow where there is copper.  I have pennies from before 1983 (pretty sure that is the year) in my bath.  If you know an electrician, you can pound out copper circles from heavy wire remnants.  Lots of possible sources.  It works.

#9 jzmtl

jzmtl

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

My bird bath is concrete, so the algae really adheres to it.  I just scrubbed it with wire brush a few days ago, so it is good to go for another couple of weeks.  Scrubbing that thing is really a pain, and is hard on my arms and wrists!   :(

Sounds like good time to invest in a pressure washer, good for many other things too!

#10 BirdFancier

BirdFancier

BirdFancier

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationSturgis, MI

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

Yes jzmtl, a pressure washer would definitely do the job, but I doubt I will invest in one.  I could rent one or borrow one from someone I suppose.

Thanks for the tips everyone!  I appreciate it   :)

#11 mnsnowbird

mnsnowbird

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Change the water every 5 days or so should be the solution. If you don't let it go so long then it wont get slimy. It will probably grow algea but it won't have enough time to take hold. Change it enough and it will stay clean.

#12 BirdFancier

BirdFancier

BirdFancier

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationSturgis, MI

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Change the water every 5 days or so should be the solution. If you don't let it go so long then it wont get slimy. It will probably grow algea but it won't have enough time to take hold. Change it enough and it will stay clean.

I change the water every day.  I would never let it go for any longer than that.  I am going to try putting copper in the bath, like a few copper pennies or remnants, as LarryTheCoder suggested.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users