#1 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

It's one of those "I refuse to give up" + "Timing is everything" finds! I had walked, driven, hiked around this reservoir. Miles, combined. For 5.5 hours. No luck. I think I have a personal relationship with every mallard there, a few geese and a wood duck. Also coots and lots and lots of Clark's and Western Grebes with a few Pied-billed mixed in. But the darned bird didn't appear. Anywhere. I back-tracked over and over; Ski Beach, East Beach, Swim Beach, Sail Boat Cove. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Finally, with 40 minutes to go (had to get home) I wandered over to the Lifeguard Station area and ran into some birders from L.A. in the parking lot just arriving to look for the bird. I told them where it wasn't.  :wacko:  They sat down to eat lunch while I went over to the Lifeguard Station. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay away on the opposite shore were about a dozen Western and Clark's Grebes. They were in a little cove below the right dam face. But there was this other "thing". It wasn't a duck, certainly not a Mallard (or by now it would have waved!) or goose. It certainly wasn't a Grebe of any kind and was WAY too big for any kind of tern. It wasn't a gull. I strained and strained becoming more and more convinced this was the bird but I needed a scope. I went to find the LA folks at their lunch table and a very nice gentleman agreed to come and take a look. He got it in the scope but said it looked like a bird on a rock. I peeked and it was actually a loon asleep with it's bill in its back feathers. Everyone looked. They got out their Kaufman's and other books. I explained the loon wasn't in breeding plumage and ran and got my Sibley. By the time I returned, two other scopes showed up. Eventually, the bird stopped sleeping and lo and behold it was the Arctic Loon! Big time lifer for me... and with minutes to spare. I got a couple pretty awful pictures given how far away it was. I was so excited I was air boxing:)

I hopped in the car and drove home, getting here just in time!

9355264864_0960bbc440.jpg
IMG_6047 by canyon53ss, on Flickr
9352489989_8fb2c26ccd.jpg
IMG_6055 by canyon53ss, on Flickr
9352489323_c9b89acfb8.jpg
IMG_6059 by canyon53ss, on Flickr

Made my day!

Edit to add this is a continuing rarity. Guy Incognito got some great pics of the bird when he saw it. Unfortunately, I was too far away to do the bird justice.  

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 283 (one is under discussion)
To go: 82

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#2 DHSBirdman

DHSBirdman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationDesert Hot Springs, CA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Cany, what reservoir in So Cal is this at?

#3 PyrrhuloxiaIsAmazing

PyrrhuloxiaIsAmazing

Vireo Cursed

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationEastern Connecticut, USA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Maybe a Merganser?

If you want to know, the Grebes are Western.

My life list is growing!! Look, it just grew!!

Latest Lifers: Canada Warbler, Short-billed Dowitcher, Blue-headed Vireo
Life List Count: 338 (full list below)

Spoiler

2014 Yearlist: 215 (full list below)
Recent Yearbirds: Alder Flycatcher, Canada Warbler, Short-billed Dowitcher
Spoiler

My main goal this year is to see a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker!  Done!!

Milestone Birds:
200th Lifer: Sharp-shinned Hawk
300th Lifer: Great Crested Grebe
100th Yearbird: Prairie Warbler
150th Yearbird: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
200th Yearbird: Little Ringed Plover

England Trip Report

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../100012535@N07/

Blog: http://petersbirdblog.blogspot.com/

Tell me if you like my stuff!

#4 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Cany, what reservoir in So Cal is this at?

Puddingstone in Frank G. Bonnelli Park. Continuing bird that's been there quite a while. It's all over e-bird for this reservoir.

Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

#5 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Maybe a Merganser?

If you want to know, the Grebes are Western.

Not a merganser. It's an arctic loon. THE arctic loon that's been here a while. A real rarity!

#6 PyrrhuloxiaIsAmazing

PyrrhuloxiaIsAmazing

Vireo Cursed

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationEastern Connecticut, USA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Oh, whoops. I can't tell then. Winter loons are hard to distinguish. Do you think it might just be a Pacific Loon?

My life list is growing!! Look, it just grew!!

Latest Lifers: Canada Warbler, Short-billed Dowitcher, Blue-headed Vireo
Life List Count: 338 (full list below)

Spoiler

2014 Yearlist: 215 (full list below)
Recent Yearbirds: Alder Flycatcher, Canada Warbler, Short-billed Dowitcher
Spoiler

My main goal this year is to see a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker!  Done!!

Milestone Birds:
200th Lifer: Sharp-shinned Hawk
300th Lifer: Great Crested Grebe
100th Yearbird: Prairie Warbler
150th Yearbird: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
200th Yearbird: Little Ringed Plover

England Trip Report

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../100012535@N07/

Blog: http://petersbirdblog.blogspot.com/

Tell me if you like my stuff!

#7 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,121 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Definitely a loon, and I can't see anything to say it isn't an Arctic. The white on the flanks looks good, but I wouldn't want to call it on the basis of these photos. On the other hand, if you guys were watching it for a while, you'll have a better idea of how consistent that mark was.

Congrats -- NICE bird. This was one of my best from last year's Alaska trip.

#8 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Oh, whoops. I can't tell then. Winter loons are hard to distinguish. Do you think it might just be a Pacific Loon?

No.... I think it is the Arctic Loon. The continuing bird. About eight of us stared at the thing through the scopes. Not a pacific. There is WAY too much white on the flank for a Pacific.

#9 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Definitely a loon, and I can't see anything to say it isn't an Arctic. The white on the flanks looks good, but I wouldn't want to call it on the basis of these photos. On the other hand, if you guys were watching it for a while, you'll have a better idea of how consistent that mark was.

Congrats -- NICE bird. This was one of my best from last year's Alaska trip.

The bird showed a lot of white on the flanks the whole time, but particularly when sleeping. I know Guy Incognito here posted a great shot of the bird, but e-bird does show some other photos of the bird at this location.

#10 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,235 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Since it's been there for a while, and it's a little early for normal loons, and the constant white flanks I say Arctic Loon!

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#11 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,966 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Great bird! Congrats! A few of my co-workers drove over 8 hours this summer to go see this guy!

Life List: 684

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

ABA 2014: 309 species
Virginia 2014: 225
Isle of Wight County 2014: 180 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#12 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Great bird! Congrats! A few of my co-workers drove over 8 hours this summer to go see this guy!

I hope they found him more quickly than I did:) I was using the best info I had. Apparently, the bird was seen in this very location about two hours earlier, but I didn't know. I really must get some kind of contraption so I can check the lists from the field. I have a very obsolete cell.

#13 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

Great story, cany! :D Congrats!
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

#14 bz2321

bz2321

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, California

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

The Bonelli Park's website posted a picture and called it "A non-breeding plumage Arctic Loon..."  Check it out.

http://www.bonellipa...d Watching.html

#15 Rubykinglet2

Rubykinglet2

Kinglet expert and lover

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Nice grebes too
Life list: 200!, latest: Sora

Year list: 166, latest: Caspian tern

Yard list: 108, latest: yellow-breasted chat

County list: 137, latest: Blue-gray gnatcatcher

200th lifer: Sora!

Goals for this year:

1. Keep track of Year list, so far so good
2. Get life list to 205, 5 more!
3. Get Year list to 200, 36 more to go!
4. Get Yard list to 100, done!
5. Find shorebirds, done!

#16 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

The Bonelli Park's website posted a picture and called it "A non-breeding plumage Arctic Loon..."  Check it out.

http://www.bonellipa...d Watching.html

Yep! That's the one!

#17 SilencedBazooka

SilencedBazooka

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

No.... I think it is the Arctic Loon. The continuing bird. About eight of us stared at the thing through the scopes. Not a pacific. There is WAY too much white on the flank for a Pacific.

So. basically you were gloating. :P

2014: 196

Gwinnett County: 143/182

Life List: 309: Sedge Wren

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/

West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/

Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

#18 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

So. basically you were gloating. :P

Yes, that is quite likely:)   B)

#19 ololaiki

ololaiki

ololaiki

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Congratulations cany!!

Wow! Where do you work, if I may ask, that a few of of your co-workers are so dedicated to birdwatching? )

#20 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Congratulations cany!!

Wow! Where do you work, if I may ask, that a few of of your co-workers are so dedicated to birdwatching? )

Thanks. I was going to go find the Red-necked Stint this am, but I have a piece of glass in my foot and am uncomfortable. I think I got it out, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users