Photo
- - - - -

Found a dead heron, so decided to clean and keep the skull.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joeyfishing

joeyfishing

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • LocationRichmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Found a dead heron while out taking photographs the other evening.  Decided to go back and take the skull, a wing for feathers and a foot.  The skull was pretty picked clean except for a few feather and other icky bits, but I've pretty much got it cleaned up now, just need to get it sun bleached.  The foot need some more ant work, so it's outside getting gnawed on by them.  The feathers are all cleaned up and are nice and big and in great shape.  

So for any skull enthusiasts, here is the newest addition to my skull collection, which previously only consisted of a Steer, a deer, a marten and a robin skull.

9505235734_62df9aa3d4_b.jpg

#2 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

That's pretty neat looking. Easy to see how that'd catch a fish or really hurt or kill somebody if they aimed right.

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#3 Doug Herr

Doug Herr

Doug Herr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationSacramento County

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

I don't know about the law in Canada but in the USA this could result in a big fine and/or spending time in the slammer.

#4 joeyfishing

joeyfishing

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well Doug, I'll take my chances.  Not like I killed it or anything.  I'm pretty sure finding a dead bird and keeping the skull is not a top priority of the police department.

#5 Doug Herr

Doug Herr

Doug Herr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationSacramento County

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

I think it's a dumb law but the US Fish & Wildlife Service doesn't care (nor does the law) if it was dead before someone collected it or not.  A single feather can lead to a US$5,000 fine.

I'm not passing judgement on you, I mentioned this as a word of caution to those in the USA.  The US Fish & Wildlife Service takes this law seriously.

#6 joeyfishing

joeyfishing

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Well thanks for the heads up Doug.  I did look it up and apparently everyone I know, myself included, are keeping illegal feathers we have collected over the years.  

Thanks though, I honestly did not know that.  I knew you could not buy eagle talons and bear claws, but not keeping feathers and skulls of dead birds.  

#7 folkeye

folkeye

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've learned pretty much ever single feather for the most part is illegal. I understand they wanted to prevent going after birds for the prize, but people'd do that anyway (legal or not). What I DON'T get is the legal hunting season and not being able to keep some feathers off the bird you happened to kill, legally of course.

I'm shocked even pigeon feathers are a no no, but turkeys are okay. So I have one good one at least :P We won't name the others that I've come across.

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#8 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,608 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've learned pretty much ever single feather for the most part is illegal. I understand they wanted to prevent going after birds for the prize, but people'd do that anyway (legal or not). What I DON'T get is the legal hunting season and not being able to keep some feathers off the bird you happened to kill, legally of course.

I'm shocked even pigeon feathers are a no no, but turkeys are okay. So I have one good one at least :P We won't name the others that I've come across.

Folkeye, it is legal to keep feathers from birds that were legally taken with a hunting license. You can keep any part or the whole bird, as in a taxidermy mount.

Creationist Birder

#9 JimB

JimB

JimB

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Creeker is right, however, I think you need a permit(s) to possess a mounted, non-game bird. And as Creeker pointed out you can keep the feathers of any game bird, whether you find them or shoot them, also you can keep feathers from any non-native species such as starlings and house sparrows. Belive it or not it is also illegal to possess bird nests! All this falls under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

#10 folkeye

folkeye

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Then I need to go find myself some game bird feathers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users