• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PFCMCL

PFCMCL

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi, I saw a really beautiful thistle feeder and I'd LOVE to get it. Problem is, I enjoy watching all birds and haven't even seen any gold finches around my house, so I want to keep providing food for different kinds of birds. Also, I don't want to have more than one feeder. My question is, can I use a thistle feeder with any other seeds? the feeder I'm interested in has a mesh to let the seeds through. Are there any other small seeds that work with thistle feeders?

Thank you in advance,

P.

#2 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the only other seed would be sunflower hearts.  I often mix the two together in my mesh feeder.  I don't think you will attract too many other birds, unless maybe you have Pine Siskins.  They seem to like that feeder.

#3 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

To attract the most species, with one feeder a hopper or tube feeder would be the best choice. Using a good mixed seed with Black Oil Sunflower Seed, white or red millet, sunflower hearts, and other good seeds is the best choice. Seeds that you should avoid include milo, rapeseed, wheat, and rice.

ABA list: 443 Latest- Black Swift
Yearlist: 382 Latest- Black Swift
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#4 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

Pardon our manners, we forgot to say "Welcome to Whatbird!"

#5 PFCMCL

PFCMCL

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

Thank you fr your help. I'll guess I'll forget about the looks and get something that works with my seeds.

Thanks again!

#6 ruthcatrin

ruthcatrin

ruthcatrin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Depending on where you are.....I see pretty much all the finches, not just Gold's, on my nijer seed feeder at various times, the Pine Siskens love it, and the American Tree Sparrows frequent it as well.  It DID take several weeks for them to really notice the feeder when I first put it up, so don't dispar if they don't show up right away!

I'm in Upstate NY, just outside of Syracuse. Near a decent sized lake, swamp, forest, and farm fields.

#7 UlrikeDG

UlrikeDG

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

What I buy for my thistle feeder (actually a tube feeder) is labeled "Finch Mix". It's mostly sunflower chips mixed with a little nijer thistle seed.

If I could only have one feeder, though, it would be a platform feeder. I see pretty much everything on mine, including finches. Fill it with sunflower seeds, and you WILL attract birds.

--

Ulrike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users