#1 backyardbirdgirl

backyardbirdgirl

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi, want to know if anyone in my area, Southern CA puts away their Hummingbird feeders during the winter.  I never have but do notice there are fewer hummers in the winter.  Should I put them away to force the little guys to go to San Diego?

Also, health wise, am I feeding too many birds??  Here are a few photos.  I had a black bird with a red head coming around but he doesn't come by anymore.  I'm wondering if its because the feeders are too crowded.  Also the yellow hooded oriole is gone, only see 2 of the females.  

I should also mention the doves fight-am I creating monster birds??

Attached Files

#2 Samuel Ewing

Samuel Ewing

Lifering/Yearbirding

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

I would recommend keeping up your hummer feeders throughout the winter.  I'd also recommend keeping up the rest of your feeders as well.  I'd just keep them all up and see what comes to them.

Life List: 303

Year List: 225 ----- Most recent: Western Kingbird, Ring-necked Pheasant, Horned Lark.

Last 5 lifers: Horned Lark, Cassin's Kingbird, Calliope Hummingbird, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Bullock's Oriole.

13-year-old birder

Check out my flickr page: https://www.flickr.c.../121511542@N02/

Most recent lifer:

Spoiler

#3 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have a friend in Southern California and last winter she kept the hummingbird feeders up. She always had a few visitors. If the weather suits and there is a food source for them, why not just keep them up? :) We have a lot of feeders, but they are spread out a bit. We go in spurts with numbers of birds. Right now they are way down. Just keep your feeders clean and you should be fine.

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-169
Yard list- 125

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler

#4 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have far fewer birds right now than last month. It appears the Orioles are now gone (both hooded and Bullock's) and I did not see the black-headed grosbeaks yesterday. I have more local birds of the finch (house and lessser) types now after nesting season and of course the other locals moutain chickadee and oak titmouse, western scrub jay and acorn woodpecker, band-tailed pigeon and mourning dove, but even the towhees seem fewer.

Soon, though, the juncos and white-crowned sparrows will return (I hope).

I have taken down one hummer feeder, but still have six up, and my neighbor (who I set up!), still has her two out. So everything is still well taken care of. I will keep all the other feeders up (but probably will remove another two hummer feeders eventually as winter sets in and visitors (black-chinned and migrating roufous) leave. But we have Anna's all year (I really don't know about year-around Allen's at this point... we will see!).

Eventually, the suet will go back out, too.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 282 (one is under discussion)
To go: 83

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#5 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

I agree that you should keep the feeders up. You're likely only to get Allen's and Anna's (depending on how inland you are) during the winter because the Black-chinned have left. 

During the winter you can get all sorts of new birds to come to your feeders if you keep them up. Most notably are White-crowned Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users