14 replies to this topic

#1 urbanbirdfeeder

urbanbirdfeeder

urbanbirdfeeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

hi everyone - i was watching one of the local peregrines (providence, ri) when another showed up and they started fighting/playing in the air... i grabbed my camera and i'm surprised to see such a red tail... could it be that the falcon was fighting a red-tailed hawk right outside my window?

Attached Files

#2 Cataclysmic Beefstick

Cataclysmic Beefstick

Cataclysmic Beefstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

Looks like you do have a red-tailed hawk on the left and a peregrine falcon on the right.  I'll bet my ridiculous government salary they're not playing.

#3 urbanbirdfeeder

urbanbirdfeeder

urbanbirdfeeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

wild.

#4 featherbrain

featherbrain

featherbrain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

Wow that's really cool! Peregrines are one of my favorite birds of prey, but unfortuneately I rarely get to see them...

#5 Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationPA / NJ

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

I wish you could see more of me, Featherbrain. :(

#6 Makachoa

Makachoa

Makachoa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Nice picture.

Smile

I've never seen a Peregrine.

Sad 

#7 raptrlvr

raptrlvr

raptrlvr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

These battles usually don't amount to much. You might think that the redtail has the advantage because it is bigger, but, not so. I have seen falcons drive golden eagles out of the field. I have also seen a male prairie falcon stoop a redtail all the way to the ground becaus the redtail was near the eyrie. As long as the falcon is in the air, it has the advantage because it is much quicker and agile than the redtail. All birds of prey do this kind of battle with each other. Here is a picture of my Harris Hawk{bird on the bottom} being stooped by a ferruginous hawk day before yesterday. No harm was done to either bird.

This picture is a Northern Harrier stooping the Harris Hawk 

#8 Tominator

Tominator

Tominator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

I used to watch a peregrine in Toledo when I waited for my wife to get off work. They used to take runs at pigeons. They flew so fast you almost lost sight of them in dives.

#9 kurtgeiger

kurtgeiger

kurtgeiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

That is a really cool picture and encounter! I have seen Red Shouldered Hawks being chased by Crows around my house  but a Peregrine and Red Tail,,,, that is just too cool!!!!

#10 Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationPA / NJ

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:37 AM

I've seen Harriers tussle with Short-ears, Kestrels chase Red-tails, Kingbirds beat up on Red-tails, but the coolest thing I've ever seen was a Merlin beating up on a group of American Crows. The crows were trying to get a prey item away from the Merlin and the Merlin responded by beating the crap out of them. This happened at a playground in the park and the crows literally had to hide under the slides and stuff to avoid being dive-bombed. I love Merlins.

#11 Makachoa

Makachoa

Makachoa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

Wow - TheGrine. I'm jealous.

The greatest I've seen was a Merlin chasing a Chickadee. And he never got it.

Impressive, I know... Wink

#12 Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationPA / NJ

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

Okay, so I was thinking and I remembered something else that will shock you. I've seen a Great Black-backed Gull grab a Brant goose by the head, pull it into the water, drown it, and then begin to eat it. Probably one of the most shocking things I've seen when it comes to birds.

#13 mousebird

mousebird

mousebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

I believe that the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest bird in the world. I love watching birds of prey, they are so majestic, skilled, and intelligent!

#14 raptrlvr

raptrlvr

raptrlvr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

You are correct in that the peregrine falcon is the fastest bird in the world. They have been clocked at speeds in the 250 miles per hour range when they are stooping their prey.  You may ask how they clocked them at that speed. It was done with skydivers jumping out of a plane and free falling with the falcons. The falcons also had a computer chip attached to their tail. The even made a video of this called "Terminal Velocity".

#15 Makachoa

Makachoa

Makachoa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Wow - that is amazing.

TheGrine - crazy story. I've never heard of such an aggressive gull! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users