Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
urbanbirdfeeder

falcon vs hawk?

15 posts in this topic

Looks like you do have a red-tailed hawk on the left and a peregrine falcon on the right.  I'll bet my ridiculous government salary they're not playing.

Wow that's really cool! Peregrines are one of my favorite birds of prey, but unfortuneately I rarely get to see them...

I used to watch a peregrine in Toledo when I waited for my wife to get off work. They used to take runs at pigeons. They flew so fast you almost lost sight of them in dives.

That is a really cool picture and encounter! I have seen Red Shouldered Hawks being chased by Crows around my house  but a Peregrine and Red Tail,,,, that is just too cool!!!!

I've seen Harriers tussle with Short-ears, Kestrels chase Red-tails, Kingbirds beat up on Red-tails, but the coolest thing I've ever seen was a Merlin beating up on a group of American Crows. The crows were trying to get a prey item away from the Merlin and the Merlin responded by beating the crap out of them. This happened at a playground in the park and the crows literally had to hide under the slides and stuff to avoid being dive-bombed. I love Merlins.

Wow - TheGrine. I'm jealous.

The greatest I've seen was a Merlin chasing a Chickadee. And he never got it.

Impressive, I know... Wink

Okay, so I was thinking and I remembered something else that will shock you. I've seen a Great Black-backed Gull grab a Brant goose by the head, pull it into the water, drown it, and then begin to eat it. Probably one of the most shocking things I've seen when it comes to birds.

I believe that the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest bird in the world. I love watching birds of prey, they are so majestic, skilled, and intelligent!