Northern Flicker

#2 rundmc65

rundmc65

rundmc65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:33 AM

I live in Massachusetts and have seen this beautiful woodpecker typebird digging in the ground for bugs.  As I was trying to identifythis creature, none of the pictures in this site do it justice.Although the written discription was accurate, the picture would havebeen more helpful if the black crescdent on its chest waspictured.  Thank you/forums/emoticons/emotion-52.gif

#3 kimmeh

kimmeh

kimmeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Sorry to say but the colours are rather off; the bird isn't that brown, it's paler, closer to beige, and even a paler beige on it's under-belly, and a pale gray on it's back. Also, when the wings are spread, you see yellow in the feathers. The underside of the tail feathers are also a bright yellow.

Hope this helps! 

#4 Brennan

Brennan

Brennan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

I took a picture of one of these the other day and some forum members here helped me ID it.

http://www.whatbird.com/forums/forums/thread/52621.aspx 

#5 birdboy

birdboy

birdboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

I see and here flickers all the time but I just cant get them in my yard, I hung up a peanut feeder in hopes of attracting them and I have had many other birds but not rhe flicker. any suggestions

#6 luv2bird

luv2bird

luv2bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

I had two females come to my compost pile to pick through the shelled peanuts every day for two months. They also would go to a place under a Southern Magnolia tree I tossed shelled peanuts and sunflower seeds for the squirrels. As soon as I bought a suet feeder and attached to the tree they went away and never came back.

#7 raptrlvr

raptrlvr

raptrlvr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

Here is a shot I took a couple of days ago. Usually the flickers will not hang around for a decent picture, but, this one did and I got several shots off at a pretty close range.

#8 UberBen

UberBen

UberBen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

in my front yard

#9 Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

I recently hung a bird feeder above the deck in my back yard.  It has been visited by several kinds of wood peckers.  One of them is the Northern flicker.  There is a pair of them living in a willow with a hole in it growing in the river behind my house.  A rather uneducated friend of mine calls them "railroad back wood peckers".  I couldn't find the term anywhere on the internet.

#10 Alilo6

Alilo6

Alilo6

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationSouth Central, IN

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Funny you mention "railroad". I live across from a railroad and they are nesting alongside the tracks.

#11 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

I'm happy. I have a pair building a nest cavity in my neighbor's yard. A bit hard to see with all these leaves in the way, though.

#12 JimUSNY

JimUSNY

I'm Learning

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  • Locationupstate NY on the Hudson River

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:52 AM

, I actually had 3 pairs, and one pair of males that hung out with two females for the longest time, both doing their dance to impress her.. they are a little shy, but a few are not bothered by me much at all unless they are on the ground and I start walking too quickly towards them. I have 3 suet feeders and I dont remember a flicker going to any of them, just east off the ground and they love my locus tree. they do however hang out at my bluebird meal worm feeder and get the worms the bluebirds drop on the ground.. I tried posting a picture of a mating pair but it says I dont have permission, not sure whats up with that

#13 KRIZDA88

KRIZDA88

KRIZDA88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

We used to have at least one pair here and they would come to feeder relatively often (especially when we had woodpecker treat bars) I always enjoyed seeing them, we nick-named them "peck-zilla" because they dwarf everything else at the feeder. Haven't seen them in recent years but then I've been gone at school, hopefully they are still around. Cool birds. 

#14 lrcote

lrcote

lrcote

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

I saw my first Yellow-Shafted Northern Flicker today.  I couldn't get any good pics, but enough to ID him.  The illustration is too dark, it's got lighter wings with dark spots, and red behind the head not strips behind the beak.

#15 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#16 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Wow, awesome pictures cabirds!!

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#17 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thank you, Melissa!

I was just trying to get caught up and it was "recent" in the list. I didn't notice I was necromancing a thread from Jan. until after I posted. :wacko:
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#18 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

everybody here saying that they avoided the suet but mine love it and its the first thing they go to. have a nesting pair since early last spring and just recently started bringing their young to the feeders

#19 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

this one is out on the feeder as i type

Posted Image

#20 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

This last winter we had a female Flicker come nearly every day to the peanuts and also the suet. That was a first for us. I hope she comes back.

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-169
Yard list- 125

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users