Benjamin DeHaven

SNowy OWls

63 posts in this topic

Is everyone watching the possible irruption year for the Snowy Owls?  I'm here in Baltimore and now have 3 confirmed eBird locations within 3 hours: Assateague Island, outside Philly, outside Harrisonburg, Va.  Super exciting!!!

1 person likes this

I'm really leaning towards chasing the Assateague Island owl tomorrow (Monday) and I hope I don't get skunked since it is a 3 hour drive each way...  But there have been some other juicy birds reported within a few miles (like a Common Eider at the Ocean City inlet) that I wouldn't mind picking up.  But the trip would be a costly day trip.  I might have to go cook some food up to try to drive the price down!  

Confirmed 4 Snowies in NJ today.  :D   But once again stories of peoples stupidity have already started coming in. :angry:

1 person likes this

I'm really leaning towards chasing the Assateague Island owl tomorrow (Monday) and I hope I don't get skunked since it is a 3 hour drive each way...  But there have been some other juicy birds reported within a few miles (like a Common Eider at the Ocean City inlet) that I wouldn't mind picking up.  But the trip would be a costly day trip.  I might have to go cook some food up to try to drive the price down!  

Food? Come on Benj! Energy bars and coffee and you're good to go. You can eat the next day when you are back home, away from the Snowies! B)

1 person likes this

I got skunked!  The Assateague Island National Seashore Snowy Owl has gone awol and none of the cold birders today could find it.  What a long drive to be stood up.  AND my consolation bird was a Common Eider that has been close up at the Ocean City Inlet for the past few days but it was missing too!  

Energy bars and coffee?  Please, way too healthy!  I took some Hamburger Helper with me...  I like to live dangerously!

today i tried to see one that had been reported in RI but unsuccessful 

Bummer. That would have been so marvelous! I hope to see one someday!

Oh that's too bad! Did you say anything good?

Bird wise, no.  A very quick glance of a Brown-headed Nuthatch and some Marbled Godwit at medium range were nice, but Snowy Owl or even Common Eider they weren't...

Here is what I saw "good":

"Ebb and Flow"

p690368583-4.jpg

"Pink, Green, and Blue"

p953893578-4.jpg

So I can at least not think of the day as a total waste...  ;)

8 people like this

Wow, those are beautiful!! Not a total waste, then! Did you hear about the MacGillivray's warbler near Harrisburg?

There are reports today of a Snowy Owl sighted at Cape Point, NC :)

1 person likes this

There are reports today of a Snowy Owl sighted at Cape Point, NC :)

I'm gonna be on the Outer Banks this weekend for a Carolina Bird Club field trip. Might go for it if it sticks around.

We've had about 10 Snowy Owls so far of the top of my head.

One at a time I'm guessing? They wouldn't fit all at once, unless you have a really big head.  :P

6 people like this

One at a time I'm guessing? They wouldn't fit all at once, unless you have a really big head.  :P

Snowy Owls are known for their patience and polite line forming (or queueing for our friends on the east side of the pond)...

2 people like this

Just got a report that there is one on an osprey platform near the north east corner of wildlife drive in EBF (Brig) refuge. just within the last two hours, if it lingers I can chase tomorrow while the turkey roasts

One showed up in the county south of mine in the past two days (Michigan).  I got to leave early for work today, and drove around a bit.  I now officially hate white plastic bags.  

5 people like this

I dunno, I have kind of a big head:

1 person likes this

That would be one hell of an irruption - snowy owls on Easter Island!

Chipper - white cats can really piss you off, too, when looking for Snowys!

That would be one hell of an irruption - snowy owls on Easter Island!

Chipper - white cats can really piss you off, too, when looking for Snowys!

I thought Snowy Owls liked cooler temps... :D

Just got a report that there is one on an osprey platform near the north east corner of wildlife drive in EBF (Brig) refuge. just within the last two hours, if it lingers I can chase tomorrow while the turkey roasts

Going there tomorrow to see if I can find it. I missed it at Sandy Hook so maybe I can see it at Brig.