#1 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

Finder Of The Maryland Pink-footed Gooses

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationTimonium, Maryland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Is everyone watching the possible irruption year for the Snowy Owls?  I'm here in Baltimore and now have 3 confirmed eBird locations within 3 hours: Assateague Island, outside Philly, outside Harrisonburg, Va.  Super exciting!!!

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#2 patbirddude

patbirddude

Birds are my thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

today i tried to see one that had been reported in RI but unsuccessful 

Life List: 170 BARNACLE GOOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yearlist: 81

Favorite bird: Snowy Owl

my flickr

MY BLOG: http://seasidebirder.blogspot.com/

Facebook

Project Noah

my ebird

It may be raining, but I see no reason not to go birding- me

13 Year old birder

I ALWAYS BIRD ON DAYS THAT END IN Y!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

#3 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

I'm really leaning towards chasing the Assateague Island owl tomorrow (Monday) and I hope I don't get skunked since it is a 3 hour drive each way...  But there have been some other juicy birds reported within a few miles (like a Common Eider at the Ocean City inlet) that I wouldn't mind picking up.  But the trip would be a costly day trip.  I might have to go cook some food up to try to drive the price down!  

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#4 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

VENI,VIDI,VICHI

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

Don't go scaring it... :P  :)

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/
West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/
Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

Lifelist: 311
Odes: 50

rock.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      rock.gif

#5 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,489 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

Confirmed 4 Snowies in NJ today.  :D   But once again stories of peoples stupidity have already started coming in. :angry:

Life list: 382 Latest: Wilson's Plover, Lark Sparrow, Elegant Tern, Northern Lapwing, King Rail, Snail Kite, Bachman's Sparrow, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bronzed Cowbird, Purple Swamphen, Short-tailed Hawk, White-crowned Pigeon, Common Myna, Red-whiskered Bulbul, LaSagra's Flycatcher, Swainson's Warbler, Roseate Tern, Egyptian Goose, WHISKERED TERN!, Vermillion FC, Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Neotropic Cormorant, White-winged Dove 

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,905 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm really leaning towards chasing the Assateague Island owl tomorrow (Monday) and I hope I don't get skunked since it is a 3 hour drive each way...  But there have been some other juicy birds reported within a few miles (like a Common Eider at the Ocean City inlet) that I wouldn't mind picking up.  But the trip would be a costly day trip.  I might have to go cook some food up to try to drive the price down!  

Food? Come on Benj! Energy bars and coffee and you're good to go. You can eat the next day when you are back home, away from the Snowies! B)

Creationist Birder

#7 Owen

Owen

L'ornithologue

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Agreed, creeker :lol:

ABA lifelist: 260

Latest lifer: Short-tailed Hawk!

Ontario list: 187

Neighbourhood list: 91

Yard list: 60

ABA #200 was Willow Flycatcher!!!

14-year-old-birder!

2014 ABA yearlist - 255My goal is 250! Completed!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/95684480@N04/

#8 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

I got skunked!  The Assateague Island National Seashore Snowy Owl has gone awol and none of the cold birders today could find it.  What a long drive to be stood up.  AND my consolation bird was a Common Eider that has been close up at the Ocean City Inlet for the past few days but it was missing too!  

Energy bars and coffee?  Please, way too healthy!  I took some Hamburger Helper with me...  I like to live dangerously!

#9 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Oh that's too bad! Did you say anything good?

#10 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

today i tried to see one that had been reported in RI but unsuccessful 

Bummer. That would have been so marvelous! I hope to see one someday!

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 336
Most recent lifers: Black Scoter, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, Olive-backed Pipet, Northern Parula, Tennessee Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Vesper Sparrow, Craveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 306 (one is under discussion)
To go: 59

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#11 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

Good luck Ben. I haven't heard of the one on Assateague.

Yard list 148
Bird lifers 379
Birds in Peru 91
Birds in the U.S. 303
Latest- Northern Goshawk, Red Phalarope, White-rumped Sandpiper, Bank Swallow, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Butterfly lifers- 85
Latest- Brazilian Skipper, Twin-spotted Skipper, Clouded Skipper, Hayhurst's Scallopwing, Southern Broken Dash

Moth Lifers- 182

Latest- Southern Emerald, Showy Emerald, Virginia Creeper Sphinx, Walnut Sphinx
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 44
Latest- American Rubyspot, Clamp-tipped Emerald, Great Spreadwing, Rambur's Forktail, Needham's Skimmer
Year list- 275
Latest- Red-breasted Nuthatch

#12 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Oh that's too bad! Did you say anything good?

Bird wise, no.  A very quick glance of a Brown-headed Nuthatch and some Marbled Godwit at medium range were nice, but Snowy Owl or even Common Eider they weren't...

Here is what I saw "good":

"Ebb and Flow"

p690368583-4.jpg

"Pink, Green, and Blue"

p953893578-4.jpg

So I can at least not think of the day as a total waste...  ;)

#13 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wow, those are beautiful!! Not a total waste, then! Did you hear about the MacGillivray's warbler near Harrisburg?

#14 Carolina

Carolina

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationCoastal Beaufort SC

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

There are reports today of a Snowy Owl sighted at Cape Point, NC :)

Life list total~193

Yard list ~ 72

Work list ~ 116 (Office with a view)

Many Many Many Thanks to all here at Whatbird for your help extraordinaire...

#15 sheinrich601613

sheinrich601613

MA Teen Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

We've had about 10 Snowy Owls so far of the top of my head.

Check out my Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/sheinrich601613/

Trip Reports: Adirondacks July 4 , Florida February

Life list - 292 

Year list - 263

Life List:

Spoiler

Year List: 263

Spoiler

Always birding, rain or Shein! - Chiccadee

#16 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

VENI,VIDI,VICHI

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

... :mellow:

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/
West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/
Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

Lifelist: 311
Odes: 50

rock.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      rock.gif

#17 blackburnian

blackburnian

14 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

There are reports today of a Snowy Owl sighted at Cape Point, NC :)

I'm gonna be on the Outer Banks this weekend for a Carolina Bird Club field trip. Might go for it if it sticks around.

Ryan

ABA- 292
2014- 259

#18 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

We've had about 10 Snowy Owls so far of the top of my head.

One at a time I'm guessing? They wouldn't fit all at once, unless you have a really big head.  :P

#19 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

One at a time I'm guessing? They wouldn't fit all at once, unless you have a really big head.  :P

Snowy Owls are known for their patience and polite line forming (or queueing for our friends on the east side of the pond)...

#20 bushwacker

bushwacker

bushwacker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Locationport republic nj

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Just got a report that there is one on an osprey platform near the north east corner of wildlife drive in EBF (Brig) refuge. just within the last two hours, if it lingers I can chase tomorrow while the turkey roasts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users