JJayBird

Confirm leucistic Red-tailed Hawk?

11 posts in this topic

I was at Powhatan State Park near Richmond, Va. and spotted this beautiful big white bird soaring around with some vultures and a Red-tailed Hawk.  I managed to get quite a few shots but none were closer than these.  When I got home I did a search and found that someone had reported a leucistic Red-tailed at that same location on 12/29.  I'm sure it's the same bird and I took their word for it on the ID.  Is the ID correct and if so what are the tell-tale characteristics?  Thanks for the help!

F4i6uET.jpg

zOXgiMj.jpg

11 people like this

I'd say you've got it with leucistic Red-tail.

Neat bird!!

1 person likes this

Wow, what a stunning bird. I'm sure it is a Red-tailed, but other than shape there's not really much to go on! Red-tailed Hawks seem to be the most likely to be luesistic like this for some reason (at least, that's all I've heard of). 

1 person likes this

wow what a bird, 5 or 6 feather short of albino

1 person likes this

Looks like the one I see over my yard every now and then! I haven't gotten that great of pictures though. 

1 person likes this

Wow, what a pretty bird and amazing photo. The only time I've ever seen a Leucistic bird was when I was eating a pizza lunch at the photo camp I went to last summer. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me cuz I didn't bother taking it cuz I'd figured I'd just be eating lunch, so still not photos of Leucistic birds yet. It's head was the only leucistic part of its body so I am confident that it was a House Sparrow.

1 person likes this

wow what a bird, 5 or 6 feather short of albino

Technically no, as the eyes look black.  I'd say 5 or 6 feathers short of full leucism.