6 replies to this topic

#1 tshears

tshears

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Kentucky

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

So i switched my main feeder to safflower seed because i was having a major issue with starlings..  But the starlings are now eating the safflower seed without problem.. Maybe i should just give up.       It wouldn't be so bad, but we have huge flocks here and they clean the feeders out so fast.. Plus i don't want to prevent large birds from feeding like the cardinals..  Not sure there is a way to stop the starlings.. I have tried taking feeders down for a few days but they always come back.   Has anyone successfully defeated them?

Birds that visit my yard

Sparrows- House Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco

Finches- American Goldfinch, House Finch

Woodpeckers- Red Bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Northern Flicker.

Hawks - Red Shouldered Hawk , Coopers Hawk

Warblers- Yellow Rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler

Doves & Pigeons  - Mourning Dove

Mockingbirds and Thrashers- Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher

Wrens- Carolina Wren

Blackbirds- Starling , Common Grackle

Other- Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Hermit Thrush, Caronlina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Phobe, Eastern Bluebird

Rarities - Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Eastern Towhee

#2 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

I haven't been successful, but I'm winning the battle. The ones here don't eat the safflower or BOSS, but will throw it on the ground hoping for something better. They are the most frustrating birds ever. I have bought cages for most of my feeders. The suet, mealworms and mixed seeds are all caged. Everything bluebird size and under can feed. Unfortunately, the Cardinals can't. They seem to do well with the BOSS and safflower during the day. About an hour before sunset I uncage the mixed seed feeders for them, since the Starlings have left by then. Since my Cardinals feed late, and then early, I don't put the cage back until I see the first Starling in the morning. BTW, I don't use the white safflower, but the brown (Nutrasaff), maybe that makes a difference. Don't give up, get creative, and share your success stories when you have them!

#3 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Fortunately, I don't get really large flocks, maybe a dozen or so.  There have only been two or three here so far this month but I'm sure more will come.  I've never been successful at keeping them away as they will eat anything and everything.  I usually just have to wait it out.  They will leave eventually.  There's also a Red-shouldered Hawk who seems pretty happy they are here.  He helps keep the 'flock' low in numbers, too.

I'd rather be birding.

#4 tshears

tshears

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

it is kind of funny because i was complaining about the starlings yesterday and today i have 25 mourning doves.. One of them decided to throw all the safflower seed on the ground for all of his buddies..     I had 10 cardinals out here all week and now only a few since the other pests have arrived..  I do have a red shouldered hawk that has been hanging out all week and he was keeping the starlings at bay as he seems to like them.. But i haven't seen him visit today and now all these doves showed up.. ugh

Birds that visit my yard

Sparrows- House Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco

Woodpeckers- Red Bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Northern Flicker.

Wrens- Carolina Wren

Other- Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Hermit Thrush, Caronlina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Phobe, Eastern Bluebird

#5 cwj2323

cwj2323

Still birding, but silent at forum

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

We have two brave Starlings that come here, but mostly for water.  I would gladly see a good flock of Mourning Doves, they seem so sweet.  The fairly recently enacted dove hunting season has put a dent in our population.  :( :angry:

#6 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

I get a lot of Mourning Doves, too.  I don't mind having them around because they seem to be well-behaved and hardly ever get on the feeders.  I only go through the bird seed at a rapid rate when the dozen or so Starlings are here all day...every day.  Last winter they were terrible.

I'd rather be birding.

#7 tshears

tshears

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

well i put some seed mix out on a tote lid on the ground for the starlings and doves, if i can't beat them, might as well feed them.. At least that helps keep them from throwing all my safflower seed on the ground.

Birds that visit my yard

Wrens- Carolina Wren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users