#1 zoey27

zoey27

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

We are having strange weather as this Arctic front is moving down.  This morning a gorgeous Oriole was perched on our lawn chairs.  Did not see it eat. We'd put out fresh food yesterday and cleaned the birdbath. This is the first one I have seen in middle South Carolina. Is the weather causing them to look for different feeding areas?

#2 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,589 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hi Zoey and welcome to Whatbird!

You may find it strange, but many Baltimore Orioles winter here in the South.

They may come to oranges, jelly, and hummingbird feeders, I believe.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#3 zoey27

zoey27

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Liam, this is my first time seeing one in 20+ years here.  I have no oranges, jelly, or hummingbird feeders out at the moment. Just have songbird seed mix, suet, and a clean birdbath. I'll get some oranges out there in case I was being "checked out" by the spotter for the Orioles!  What a gorgeous bird! Thanks for letting me know that I could be attracting this lovely bird.

#4 Kudzu

Kudzu

Just A Dabbler

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Liam, this is my first time seeing one in 20+ years here.  I have no oranges, jelly, or hummingbird feeders out at the moment. Just have songbird seed mix, suet, and a clean birdbath. I'll get some oranges out there in case I was being "checked out" by the spotter for the Orioles!  What a gorgeous bird! Thanks for letting me know that I could be attracting this lovely bird.

If you get a chance, take a picture for us.

If you are successful in attracting Orioles, and they want to visit the coast, I would be happy to host them. I have never seen one in SC and would love to.
Me, a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.
Ernie Middleton - Charleston, SC
http://www.efm3.net/Birds/Birds2014/.

#5 zoey27

zoey27

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I only saw the bird a couple of hours ago as it hopped along the backs of our yard chairs, but have no idea how long it may have been there before I looked.  Just came back from putting out oranges in a tray hanging on one of those hook/pole feeder stations. Also put fresh suet in the container and nailed it to a tree so the suet lovers can all have access. Those swinging feeders tend to only be available to the more acrobatic bird!  Mockingbirds and Blue Jays have loved it, but everyone else is annoyed.  I do hope the Oriole comes back!

#6 Kudzu

Kudzu

Just A Dabbler

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

...Mockingbirds and Blue Jays have loved it, but everyone else is annoyed.  I do hope the Oriole comes back!

zoey27, what food is in your feeders attracting Mockingbirds and Blue Jays? I see a number of both in my yard regularly, but have never seen either at a feeder.

#7 zoey27

zoey27

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Kudzu, the Pennington Ultra Songbird blend, containing Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Safflower, Peanuts, Striped Sunflower, Raisins, Dried Cherries is what we are currently using. I've seen the Blue Jays eating it and black oil sunflower seeds in the past, but don't think I've noticed the Mockingbirds at those feeders.  What both are doing is eating the suet. I have not noticed the Blue Jays recently BTW.

#8 Leslie.

Leslie.

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationPlain City, Ohio (central ohio)

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

The Blue Jays in my backyard love the peanuts I scatter on the ground as part of a "critter mix".  I see the cardinals going after the corn.  As soon as we get out of the deep freeze (it's 1F or -8F with the wind chill!) I'll put a stand feeder out so the birds won't have to compete with the squirrels and raccoons as much.

#9 Kudzu

Kudzu

Just A Dabbler

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Kudzu, the Pennington Ultra Songbird blend, containing Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Safflower, Peanuts, Striped Sunflower, Raisins, Dried Cherries is what we are currently using. I've seen the Blue Jays eating it and black oil sunflower seeds in the past, but don't think I've noticed the Mockingbirds at those feeders.  What both are doing is eating the suet. I have not noticed the Blue Jays recently BTW.

Thank you, zoey27!

That is interesting because I have had suet out all along, but never seen a Mockingbird or Blue Jay attracted to it.

#10 Kudzu

Kudzu

Just A Dabbler

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

The Blue Jays in my backyard love the peanuts I scatter on the ground as part of a "critter mix".

I have recently been thinking about adding a peanut feeder, but scattering some peanuts on the ground sounds like a good plan, too. Besides, I can do that immediately, but I am going to have to put up another pole to add a peanut feeder.

There is one problem with peanuts; I might eat them instead of feeding them to the birds! Well, since I am trying to turn over a new leaf, I will share. Do southern birds like boiled peanuts?

#11 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

There is one problem with peanuts; I might eat them instead of feeding them to the birds! Well, since I am trying to turn over a new leaf, I will share. Do southern birds like boiled peanuts?

I just make sure to buy bird peanuts from Wild Birds Unlimited and peanuts for people from Trader Joe's.  :)

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-180
Yard list- 128

Latest: Carolina Wren

Pizza list-  2

Latest: House Sparrow   :huh:

#12 Kudzu

Kudzu

Just A Dabbler

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

I just make sure to buy bird peanuts from Wild Birds Unlimited and peanuts for people from Trader Joe's.  :)

cwj2323, glad you brought that up. Is there a difference between "people" peanuts and "bird" peanuts? It seems to me I read something about buying peanuts specifically for birds, but cannot remember the issue.

#13 zoey27

zoey27

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

Kudzu, I saw a Blue Jay and a Mockingbird in my backyard today in the snow.  The Blue Jay was so heavy "he" weighed down the branches of my "banana bush/tree".  Don't know what I missed before I looked out and identified him. I first saw a dark ring around the area below his neck as I tried to figure out what kind of bird it was. Eventually, I could see his coloring.  Soon there was the Mockingbird and "he" went for the suet cake I'd thrown out there on the snow the evening before. So glad someone found it.  He even spotted the suet I'd nailed to the tree as well and went after that.  Never saw anymore of the Blue Jay.  There was a lot of activity in my back yard as I'd scattered seed by throwing it from the opened window/door as hard as I could.  I did see yesterday that the Cardinal cracked through the ice on the rim of the feeder and got to the seed.  That opened it for everyone else, and they lined up in the banana tree like airplanes waiting for their landing slot at a busy major airport!

#14 cwj2323

cwj2323

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

I've heard different things about peanuts, but the biggest are they should not be raw as the peanuts can have pathogens which are killed in the roasting process.  Also, salt is a no no for birds and I know people nuts can be quite salty.   I just do not want to risk any harm coming to the birds from the food we provide, so  we have bird nuts and people nuts. 

I once gave a bag of bird nuts to a friend of mine and her children starting munching on them.  They are still alive  :), but I've heard some companies put pesticides on bird seed to prevent bugs from eating it up. I do not know if they do that to nuts, but I sure did cringe when I saw that. 

Life list (non ABA)- 233

2014 year list-180
Yard list- 128

Pizza list-  2

#15 chiccadee

chiccadee

Bird Nerd

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

A lot of birds actually will come to salt licks. Like Lawrence's Goldfinches. 

14-year old birder.

I don't go birdwatching, I am birdwatching.

Who needs TV when you have birds??

It's not about the birding, it's about the birds.

Check out my nature and birding blog! 

http://chiccadeeblog.blogspot.com/

GOOGLE. Use it. B)

#16 cwj2323

cwj2323

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

A lot of birds actually will come to salt licks. Like Lawrence's Goldfinches

That is interesting. As I was leaving my comment, I double checked the facts with various sources and it seems a regular statement on bird feeding sites. "Avoid giving salt to the birds."

Life list (non ABA)- 233

2014 year list-180
Yard list- 128

Pizza list-  2

#17 chiccadee

chiccadee

Bird Nerd

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

That is interesting. As I was leaving my comment, I double checked the facts with various sources and it seems a regular statement on bird feeding sites. "Avoid giving salt to the birds."

I think I got that from reading books. Apparently Red Crossbills and Pine Grosbeaks are also attracted to it.

14-year old birder.

I don't go birdwatching, I am birdwatching.

Who needs TV when you have birds??

It's not about the birding, it's about the birds.

Check out my nature and birding blog! 

http://chiccadeeblog.blogspot.com/

GOOGLE. Use it. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users