9 replies to this topic

#1 Lisbeth

Lisbeth

Lisbeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

I'm new to birdwatching.  In my backyard, around my feeders, I have Savannah sparrows, common bushtits, purple finches, black-headed grosbeaks, California quail, dark-eyed juncos, white-crowned sparrows, and lesser goldfinches.  I have had a California thrasher stop by, and a large yellow and green bird with black wings and white wing bars with a grayish head.  Are there any particular birds I should be looking for around my area?

#2 IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

You could try eNature's ZipGuide:  http://www.enature.com/zipguides/

#3 Fiesty-in-the-Field

Fiesty-in-the-Field

Fiesty-in-the-Field

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi Lisbeth,

You might want to Google "Audubon  society", click on the chapters link, find the one closest to you and give them a call or email them.  Or, if you know of a nature center or park with rangers near you, give them a call.  Where is Hemet, CA?   It sounds like you have a GREAT mix of birds that visit your yard!!!!

#4 cnybirder

cnybirder

cnybirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Tug Hill Plateau, Central NY

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Lisbeth:
I'm new to birdwatching.  In my backyard, around my feeders, I have Savannah sparrows, common bushtits, purple finches, black-headed grosbeaks, California quail, dark-eyed juncos, white-crowned sparrows, and lesser goldfinches.  I have had a California thrasher stop by, and a large yellow and green bird with black wings and white wing bars with a grayish head.  Are there any particular birds I should be looking for around my area?

Here is a complete list of all the birds that have been seen in your area in the last 2 years:
bird list for your area

#5 raptrlvr

raptrlvr

raptrlvr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

Lisbeth, You live pretty close to Lake Perris. If you go down Ramona Expressway from the 60 frwy just past the lake you will find a huge field that is known as the Potato Fields because during the season the farmer grows potatoes there. You will see wild Golden Eagles, prairie falcons, redtail hawks, coopers Hawks, merlin, sharp shin hawks,peregrine falcons and kestrels. A lot of the falconers{ I used to be one that flew there} in your area use this field every year to train their new birds for the season. The wild birds all come in when we are training the captive bred birds. There are also a lot of small birds in the field and a few ducks fly by on their way to the lake.

#6 SeeBirds123

SeeBirds123

SeeBirds123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

And then there are aviary escapee's...if the beak is parrot like it could be a conure, lovebird, amazon parrot.....etc.

#7 Lisbeth

Lisbeth

Lisbeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hello, raptor lover.

My name is Lisbeth, and you responded to my query about which birds I might find near Hemet.  You mentioned the potato fields, and told me to look there.  Well, I drive to work every morning on the Ramona Expressway.  Did you used to work with your raptor in the morning on the north side of the highway, in a field?  This would have been at about 7:00 a.m.  You would have been on the right-hand side of the highway if coming from Hemet, going to Perris, just east of the Bernasconi Beach Road.  Was that you?  It was approximately 4-6 years ago.  At any rate, thanks for your help.  Lisbeth 

#8 raptrlvr

raptrlvr

raptrlvr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

Lisbeth, For years I use to train my birds in the fields you are talking about and I was always there before the sun was up and stayed till about 10 am. I can't guarantee that the person you saw was me, because several falconers used to fly there every year. More than likely, you saw me. 

#9 Lisbeth

Lisbeth

Lisbeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info and encouragement.  Hemet, California, is in Southern California, southeast of Los Angeles.  Thanks again.

#10 Lisbeth

Lisbeth

Lisbeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hello, Raptor Lover:

It is I, Lisbeth.  I have a large red-tailed hawk in my backyard that I think has an injured wing.  Would you like to come look at him?  Maybe you can take him.

It is Monday, May 5, 2008, at 12:15 p.m.  If you answer this e-mail, then I will give you my phone number.  I will be in Riverside until 3:30, and then I will be home.  Or you can leave a message on my husband's cell phone, 951-440-5466.  Lisbeth 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users