6 replies to this topic

#1 abesbabe

abesbabe

abesbabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

I live in Kentucky.  About 2 weeks ago, two small teal colored birds came to my yard to eat seeds.   These birds were exactly the same size as House Sparrows.  From just above their eyes, all down their backs to their tails, and all of their underparts was solid teal colored.  Their wing edges, and tails were a grey color.  Their crowns were greyish.  If you go to the Forum page and look at the color on the "Identiflyer," that is the color of teal that I am trying to describe.  It was teal (blue-green), not blue, and not bluish-purple.  I have looked and looked on the 'net, and in the bird books and cannot identify these birds.  HELP!

#2 kcharmatz

kcharmatz

kcharmatz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

Sounds like a male Indigo Bunting: they have the greyish streaks on their wings & tails as you describe and their blue can be anywhere from bright sky blue to teal...

#3 cnybirder

cnybirder

cnybirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Tug Hill Plateau, Central NY

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:51 AM

Karen:
Sounds like a male Indigo Bunting: they have the greyish streaks on their wings & tails as you describe and their blue can be anywhere from bright sky blue to teal...

I agree!

#4 DieHardOwlFan

DieHardOwlFan

DieHardOwlFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:35 AM

Yes, probably an Indigo Bunting.

#5 KatPhish

KatPhish

KatPhish

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

I too live in Kentucky and this definitely sounds like the indigo buntings that frequent my feeders.

#6 barredowl

barredowl

barredowl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like an Indigo bunting.

#7 Krypto1841530

Krypto1841530

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Saw one of those full teal-colored birds here in the Piedmont of North Carolina yesterday and thanks for ID'ing this beautiful teal-colored creature. We usually have an average of no less than 30 birds feeding at one time out in the bird-feeding area of the yard. They have their periods of heavy feeding but there are also times of a complete void of birds.

The types range from the large black birds, wild turkeys, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, swallows and at least four or five other tiny types. We have one resident hawk that lives in his/her aerie atop a tall tree out in our wildlife area. The big ol' turkey buzzards also keep hanging around any odd roadside food supplies. We keep the ground feeding area supplied all the time and it is fun watching these critters. :)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users