Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratterriers

What nocturnal bird sounds like a car alarm

11 posts in this topic

I recently moved to Central Florida.  When I go outside on most nights I hear birds with a very loud call.  The sound stops as soon as the sun comes up.  It sound like a car alarm.  Two calls in quick succession then quiet, then it repeats, sort of like a "Whoo Whoo". The bird seems to travel as I will hear it coming from different locations.  I have never been able to see these birds and would love to identify the bird since I have never heard a bird call like this before.  Can anybody help??

We have a Mockingbird that does a very realistic car alarm  call and he will go all night. He also does a nifty impression of a cell phone...... Do not know if they range to Florida though.

My bet is a mocker. I can lay in bed and count the different bird songs that they imitate, including the non- native species like the monk parakeets and the spot breasted orioles. Remember, they are the state bird of Florida as well ( other than the mosquito)!

Come to think of it whip-poor-will would fit the description. It's call, although not "Whoo Whoo!", has two distinct parts and I could see how it reminds someone of a car alarm.

I live nearby in Georgia, and have noticed a similar bird call at night.  In my case, it was very obvious it was not an owl, tree frog, or mockingbird.  After some investigating, I found that the bird that I have been hearing is a Chuck-will's-widow.  It is very similar to a whip-poor-will, but the calls are distinctively different.  You can hear the song at this website: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Chuck-wills-widow_dtl.html

Hopefully this helps!

After listening to the song of the Chuck wills widow with the link you provided I am sure that that is what I am hearing.  That is exactly ehat it sounds like.  Thank you all so much for your help.  My first thought was a mickingbird but I eliminated that because I didn't thing several birds would imitate the same sound and it never does any other sounds.  In my past experience with them, they will change between several different sounds.

I too have been wondering about this bird for years, and think I found the answer today. Go to this page: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/birds/florida-bird-sounds/ and listen to the sound clip for the chuck-will's-widow. It's a beautiful night bird related to the whip-poor-will. Here's the wikipedia entry. I love the picture at the bottom marked "Perched on low, open branch" because it shows the huge eyes.