9 replies to this topic

#1 ratterriers

ratterriers

ratterriers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

I recently moved to Central Florida.  When I go outside on most nights I hear birds with a very loud call.  The sound stops as soon as the sun comes up.  It sound like a car alarm.  Two calls in quick succession then quiet, then it repeats, sort of like a "Whoo Whoo". The bird seems to travel as I will hear it coming from different locations.  I have never been able to see these birds and would love to identify the bird since I have never heard a bird call like this before.  Can anybody help??

#2 SeeBirds123

SeeBirds123

SeeBirds123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

I have a starling that mimics a car alarm....

#3 Gray Poll

Gray Poll

Gray Poll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Try to find a recording of a Screech Owl, might be your bird.

#4 kurtgeiger

kurtgeiger

kurtgeiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

We have a Mockingbird that does a very realistic car alarm  call and he will go all night. He also does a nifty impression of a cell phone...... Do not know if they range to Florida though.

#5 mousebird

mousebird

mousebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

My bet is a mocker. I can lay in bed and count the different bird songs that they imitate, including the non- native species like the monk parakeets and the spot breasted orioles. Remember, they are the state bird of Florida as well ( other than the mosquito)!

#6 Niebla

Niebla

Niebla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Also Grackles are very good at sounding like car alarms.

#7 barredowl

barredowl

barredowl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

How about a Whip poor will.

#8 nimajneb3

nimajneb3

nimajneb3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

Come to think of it whip-poor-will would fit the description. It's call, although not "Whoo Whoo!", has two distinct parts and I could see how it reminds someone of a car alarm.

#9 superstewed

superstewed

superstewed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

I live nearby in Georgia, and have noticed a similar bird call at night.  In my case, it was very obvious it was not an owl, tree frog, or mockingbird.  After some investigating, I found that the bird that I have been hearing is a Chuck-will's-widow.  It is very similar to a whip-poor-will, but the calls are distinctively different.  You can hear the song at this website: http://www.birds.cor...-widow_dtl.html

Hopefully this helps!

#10 ratterriers

ratterriers

ratterriers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

After listening to the song of the Chuck wills widow with the link you provided I am sure that that is what I am hearing.  That is exactly ehat it sounds like.  Thank you all so much for your help.  My first thought was a mickingbird but I eliminated that because I didn't thing several birds would imitate the same sound and it never does any other sounds.  In my past experience with them, they will change between several different sounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users