3 replies to this topic

#1 ladida

ladida

ladida

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Well, my friends and i were out horsebackriding on the trails, when we saw this strange bird and i've been trying to figure out what it was ever since and have had no luck. We were riding on a levy that was surounded by some swampy land and a few flooded cornfields and lots of woods in Illinois around the st. louis area. It was a very large bird and it flew very close to us (definatly not too shy). If i had to guess i would say the wingspan was approx. 4 ft. It looked snow white from the front but had red bumpy stuff around it's beak kind of like a turkey or something (but it's whole head was not red just on the sides and below the beak). after it passed us we could see the top of it, and its back was black or a dark grey and then transitioned with a few splotches and the top of its wings were snow white too. It was very odd looking and i wish i could have seen it longer so i could describe it better. unfortunetley i don't remeber what its beak looked like i was too distracted by the wierd red stuff. My friend later described it as a "half turkey half duck thing." I've been keeping my eye out for it and told others to watch for it too, but i have not heard about another sighting of it. PLEASE HELP, it has been driving me mad not knowing what it is. Thanks.
Amy

#2 pjgardenspath

pjgardenspath

pjgardenspath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

Maybe a Muscovy Duck?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW015

#3 Erich Birder

Erich Birder

Erich Birder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

the picture of a domestic muscovy in SIBLY fits your description quite well, i am gonna say its a domestic color morph of muscovy.

#4 pjgardenspath

pjgardenspath

pjgardenspath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

They're called "Skogie" ducks around here (NW FL) and they are some ugly, mean birds when they're left to run loose. They have all kinds of morphs and none of them are pretty. It's not their fault, but it is true!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users