12 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Keane

Kevin Keane

Kevin Keane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

I'm a carpenter in northern Alabama.  The house where I'm working backs up to a wooded hillside.  Everyday we've seen this all white woodpecker with a bright red triangle on the back of it's head working on this tree.  I've never seen a bird like it before!  I also have a very short video of it.  What is this bird?  I hope you can help!  Thanks, Kevin

Attached Files

#2 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

WOW, Kevin. What a find!! I can't tell from the photo what type it is. The overall shape suggests a Red-headed Woodpecker to me, but I can't say for sure. It sure is a rare bird, whatever species it is!!

BTW, welcome to WhatBird. And what part of Ala. are you in? I was born at Mentone.

#3 IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Looks to me like it's a red-bellied woodpecker, not red-headed.  Almost totally leucistic (albino, if you prefer), though -- what a rare find.

#4 J B Maberry

J B Maberry

jbm32206

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

Wow, indeed!! I've never seen a flicker or even heard of one that looks like that. How very cool...and yes, welcome to the forum. You sure started off with a fantastic find.

#5 IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

Perhaps I should have thought more carefully about the picture before I responded -- I don't think it's a red-bellied woodpecker, I think it's a northern flicker.  RBW have red in that area, but it's not a triangle.  Flickers, however, do have the triangle.  So...  an almost fully leucistic northern flicker!

#6 CMF

CMF

CMF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

I agree on the flicker. If you look closely at the 3 shafts on the end of the tail prop and the triangle on the back of the head. What a great find! Hopefully it'll stick around for some better pictures.

CMF

#7 Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

• Moderators
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Northern Flicker would get my vote - due to the overall shape, and red crescent on nape.

#8 BirdBrainy

BirdBrainy

BirdBrainy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

I agree with flicker, so glad this post had a photo! Quite the find!

#9 Kevin Keane

Kevin Keane

Kevin Keane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

Thanks,  We're in Huntsville.  I'm working on a house that backs up to Green Mountain, which is where this flicker is residing. I tried to upload the video of the bird, but the file was too big.   Kevin

#10 Possumbird55

Possumbird55

Possumbird55

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

Welcome, Kevin. Wow, what a way to begin your Whatbird experience!  Thanks for sharing this with us and please keep us updated if you see it again.

#11 Corbett

Corbett

Corbett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:42 AM

BirdBrainy:
I agree with flicker, so glad this post had a photo! Quite the find!

Wow! Great Find! Like BirdBrainy said, if this post didn't have a picture, everyone would be so confused.

#12 Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

Holy $%^& !!

#13 mousebird

mousebird

mousebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

A true albino mutation would have pink eyes and all white feathers ( they sell cockatiels like this). If the bird has any coloration and probably black eyes, it is therefore leucistic.

Interesting!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users