Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin Keane

All white woodpecker or flicker with a red triangle on the back of it's head

13 posts in this topic

I'm a carpenter in northern Alabama.  The house where I'm working backs up to a wooded hillside.  Everyday we've seen this all white woodpecker with a bright red triangle on the back of it's head working on this tree.  I've never seen a bird like it before!  I also have a very short video of it.  What is this bird?  I hope you can help!  Thanks, Kevin

post-6642--435106096_thumb.jpg

WOW, Kevin. What a find!! I can't tell from the photo what type it is. The overall shape suggests a Red-headed Woodpecker to me, but I can't say for sure. It sure is a rare bird, whatever species it is!!

BTW, welcome to WhatBird. And what part of Ala. are you in? I was born at Mentone.

Wow, indeed!! I've never seen a flicker or even heard of one that looks like that. How very cool...and yes, welcome to the forum. You sure started off with a fantastic find.

I agree on the flicker. If you look closely at the 3 shafts on the end of the tail prop and the triangle on the back of the head. What a great find! Hopefully it'll stick around for some better pictures.

CMF

Thanks,  We're in Huntsville.  I'm working on a house that backs up to Green Mountain, which is where this flicker is residing. I tried to upload the video of the bird, but the file was too big.   Kevin

Welcome, Kevin. Wow, what a way to begin your Whatbird experience!  Thanks for sharing this with us and please keep us updated if you see it again.

icon-quote.gif
BirdBrainy:
I agree with flicker, so glad this post had a photo! Quite the find!

Wow! Great Find! Like BirdBrainy said, if this post didn't have a picture, everyone would be so confused.

A true albino mutation would have pink eyes and all white feathers ( they sell cockatiels like this). If the bird has any coloration and probably black eyes, it is therefore leucistic.

Interesting!!!!