#1 ellie87

ellie87

ellie87

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

I've been birding for about a year now, and absolutely love it. I feel like the one area I'm still pretty rusty in, however, is identifying the buteos. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good field guide for identifying raptors, that has all their different morphs, etc. I have the book "Hawks from Every Angle", but that only gives the views in flight. Most of the time I see a hawk it is perched. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

#2 Rough-Legged Hawk Enthusiast

Rough-Legged Hawk Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hawks are the most fun! Look for books by Chandler S. Robbins and also Peterson Field guides are pretty good too. Remember we love to ID hawks and raptors on this site, so if you have unknown pictures, we would all be happy to ID them for you.

#3 Jim Penny

Jim Penny

Jim Penny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

As suggested the Peterson's Guides tend to be very useful.  I personally don't have one specific to Raptors, but have been considering getting one.  I had on my list of those to consider the one you said that you have.  I take it from your comments that it fails to live up to the promise of "hawks from every angle"

There are Peterson Field Guides to a number of specific birds.  The one on Raptors is written by Clark and Wheeler.

There are many Guides available.  You might want to take a look at the following Website where reviews of many bird books are given.

The address is http://www.birderslibrary.com.  Once there you can do a Search for the particular subject or bird you are interested in. 

p.s.  I hope that a previous person who Posted looking for suggestions of Guides is still checking in!  They may benefit also from the Website.

#4 ellie87

ellie87

ellie87

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the help, i'll definitely check out that website. The Hawks from every angle is good, its just every angle in FLIGHT, not perched. And I really haven't used it that much, so I shouldn't complain about it. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there as well. Thanks again!

#5 Rough-Legged Hawk Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Ha Ha, thanks for the suggestion, but I think I will stick with what I have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users