7 replies to this topic

#1 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

This forum is for discussing the iBird Plus application for the iPhone or iPod Touch. The purpose of this forum is to share your thoughts about the product, suggest new features, offer insights and of course vent. While we are open to criticism our only request is that you remain civil and mature in your comments. You can find iBird Plus in the iTunes store.

#2 drewweber

drewweber

drewweber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Will the next version of iBird feature updated songs? Just brushing up on some warbler songs to be ready for migration and noticed some of the sound files were pretty distorted. I can give you a list as I come across them if you like but one good example is the Blackburnian Warbler.

#3 stcroix2

stcroix2

stcroix2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

Gave iBird Plus a run for its money yesterday. Six hours of birding over at the local reservoir and then down raptor road.  I have a way to go using the search feature to identify birds.  It seems like it should be easier than I am discovering it to be.  In each instance when I had an unidentified bird, I was unsuccessful in locating it using the iBird Plus search feature.  When I posted the picture on our local birders site, our resident expert was quick to make the identification, and sure enough the particular bird is certainly within the iBird Plus library.  VERY handy if you can find, or know the identity of the bird you are seeking to identify further.  Time and patience, like all this iPhone stuff is turning out to be, and I'm sure I'll come to love the program.

My quesitons:

1.  Is there anyone else here, who uses this thread in this forum?

2. What have been the experiences with this particular version of iBird?

I'm a novice birder, but have some experience with our backyard feeder bird identification. I havn't missed one of those, but the shorebirds were real problematic. I'm just not that familiar with the individual identification characteristics of those birds.

Keith

#4 stcroix2

stcroix2

stcroix2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

Just thought of another couple of questions:

3. Offering photographs to iBird for publication, has anyone other than Pro photographers had any success offering any of your personal shots being used?

4. Would this forum be an appropriate place to post just such a possible photo, to see if others view it as a helpful/representative photograph

(I'll quit now!)  :-)

Keith

#5 chupacerveza

chupacerveza

chupacerveza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Hi Keith,

For bird identification, I recommend using another forum on this site called "Help Me Identify a Bird." Plenty of good folks there to help with an ID.

When you went from backyard bird identification to the shorebirds, did you remember to turn off the filter for "Backyard Feeder"?

There is ample guidance built into the app for photo submissions. Currently it states a preference that you contact them with a link to your gallery.

The forum above for ID help is also a good place to post a photo if you are trying to get assistance with identification.

Yes, I'm using iBird Plus and am pretty happy with it so far.

Best,

Robert 

#6 stcroix2

stcroix2

stcroix2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.  Yes, I cleared the previous searches data prior to making a new one.

I'm aware of the other bird identifying thread on this forum, thank you for reminding me about it.  However, I may not have been clear with my post, I was curious to learn of other forum posters experience using this program.  I'd already identified the mysterious birds.

Pretty much the same about the photos.  I'm also familiar with the guidance built into the app.   Again, just seeking the personal experience of any non-Pros who have attempted to have their photographs posted within iBird Explorer.  Further I am aware that iBird had identified that "they" have "... over 100 photos..." then goes on to identify the Pros whose photos have been added.  Are any amatuers having any success?  Have any amatuers (here at WhatBird) had any experience in this regard.

Thank you for identifying your pleasure with the program

Regards, 

Keith

#7 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

stcroix2:

I was curious to learn of other forum posters experience using this program.  I'd already identified the mysterious birds.

Pretty much the same about the photos.  I'm also familiar with the guidance built into the app.   Again, just seeking the personal experience of any non-Pros who have attempted to have their photographs posted within iBird Explorer.  Further I am aware that iBird had identified that "they" have "... over 100 photos..." then goes on to identify the Pros whose photos have been added.  Are any amatuers having any success?  Have any amatuers (here at WhatBird) had any experience in this regard. Thank you for identifying your pleasure with the program

Regards, 

Keith

Keith I understand wanting to know how other people experience the program. You can see a great deal about that in the reviews in the app store where customers leave some greatly detailed experiences.

The question about the photos: are you wondering if anyone who sends a photo finds its way into the app? The answer to that is we have a really great number of professional photographs of most birds of North America. We sometimes get a few photos from a beginner or inexperienced photographers. Most of the time these are species we already have more than one shot of, so we can't use it. We occasionally receive some photos from amateurs that we can't use because they are not up to the standards of the rest of the program. There is a list we maintain at this link of the species of birds that we either missing photos for or have only one or two. So those are the shots we are most interested in.

#8 jamessmith

jamessmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

nice to have bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users