12 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Leo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

I was watching my dogs play in the backyard this morning and two small yellow birds caught my eye when they flew into a small tree in our back yard. at first I thought they were goldfinch but didn't notice any black coloring on their wings or on their heads.

These two birds were very small, maybe 3 inches in length, and were a very dark gold color. I live in North Texas and do not remember ever seeing a bird like this before. I almost thought them to be small canarys.

I have spent the better part of the morning doing online searches for this bird and the closest one that i can find is the yellow warbler but that bird is found closer to the border.

hoping to see them again....have the camera ready.

#2 snowyowl

snowyowl

snowyowl

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

No U.S. bird is as small as three inches, but check out Wilson's Warbler, which is under 5 inches and gives the impression of a very yellow and tiny bird.

Attached Files

#3 chupacerveza

chupacerveza

chupacerveza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

Did they have black masks on their eyes? I came across a migrating common yellowthroat in Austin two days ago--and he was certainly very small. (Photo attached)

Attached Files

#4 Kaleb

Kaleb

Kaleb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

,yellow warbler how about a yellow warbler?? small yellow bird

#5 chupacerveza

chupacerveza

chupacerveza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

Sorry, missed the part about no black on their heads.

#6 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

Welcome to Whatbird Leo.

Fraser

#7 Leo

Leo

Leo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

I had viewed the yellow warbler and even though the color seemed close it was not the same shape as the little ones I saw. They almost had the same body shape as a hummingbird but the small beak like the finch. I am wondering if they may have been song birds or little love birds that got out of someone's cage. I set up the camera on my tripod but never saw them again.

Thanks for the help.

Still on the lookout...

#8 pacha

pacha

pacha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

I live in Dayton OH and today I saw a tiny yellow bird, not much bigger than a hummingbird. He was hanging out with a bunch of sparrows. I have searched the internet looking for something similar without success ever since. He was smaller and sleeker than the sparrows and had a black streak on each wing so I couldn't see any other details. I had my dog and I couldn't get any closer. If you find anything please post it. I don't know why, but this bird really intriques me

#9 EmilyRose

EmilyRose

EmilyRose

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAkron, OH

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

Pacha, could your bird be a male goldfinch?  I live in the Akron area and we get lots of goldfinches and they can be quite tiny.  Good luck!

#10 pacha

pacha

pacha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Hi Emilyrose. No this bird is sleeker, more angular. I saw him again this morning. His head is all yellow, wings were yellow with a black stripe. He is the only one I've seen and he is usually with a bunch of sparrows that feed here. My family thinks I am obsessed. Lol

#11 EmilyRose

EmilyRose

EmilyRose

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAkron, OH

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

Aww, I tried, haha.  Pacha, I would try starting a thread (and ruling out a goldfinch in the first post haha).  Questions within a thread can be overlooked.

#12 Julie H

Julie H

Julie H

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz Mountains, CA

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Lesser Goldfinches are tiny, and not all have black caps or streaks on their wings. I have a whole brood of them, and they are delightful to watch and listen to. Don't know where you are located, but check it out.

Julie

#13 crem88

crem88

crem88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

A small yellow bird caught my eye today.  I'm on the second floor in NW Austin - surrounded by what I believe are Live Oaks.  This little guy was a little bigger than a humming bird.  His colors were very similar to the picture of the Yellow Warbler that was posted.  The only difference I noticed from the picture was that my guy was sleeker.

He hopped around on the branches about 5 feet from my window for 5 minutes or so before flying off.

I'm keeping my eye out for him.

Cheers.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users