Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leo

Small yellow bird

13 posts in this topic

I was watching my dogs play in the backyard this morning and two small yellow birds caught my eye when they flew into a small tree in our back yard. at first I thought they were goldfinch but didn't notice any black coloring on their wings or on their heads.

These two birds were very small, maybe 3 inches in length, and were a very dark gold color. I live in North Texas and do not remember ever seeing a bird like this before. I almost thought them to be small canarys.

I have spent the better part of the morning doing online searches for this bird and the closest one that i can find is the yellow warbler but that bird is found closer to the border.

hoping to see them again....have the camera ready.

No U.S. bird is as small as three inches, but check out Wilson's Warbler, which is under 5 inches and gives the impression of a very yellow and tiny bird.

post-2465-617089736_thumb.jpg

Did they have black masks on their eyes? I came across a migrating common yellowthroat in Austin two days ago--and he was certainly very small. (Photo attached)

post-7794--1866273560_thumb.jpg

I had viewed the yellow warbler and even though the color seemed close it was not the same shape as the little ones I saw. They almost had the same body shape as a hummingbird but the small beak like the finch. I am wondering if they may have been song birds or little love birds that got out of someone's cage. I set up the camera on my tripod but never saw them again.

Thanks for the help.

Still on the lookout...

I live in Dayton OH and today I saw a tiny yellow bird, not much bigger than a hummingbird. He was hanging out with a bunch of sparrows. I have searched the internet looking for something similar without success ever since. He was smaller and sleeker than the sparrows and had a black streak on each wing so I couldn't see any other details. I had my dog and I couldn't get any closer. If you find anything please post it. I don't know why, but this bird really intriques me

Pacha, could your bird be a male goldfinch?  I live in the Akron area and we get lots of goldfinches and they can be quite tiny.  Good luck!

Hi Emilyrose. No this bird is sleeker, more angular. I saw him again this morning. His head is all yellow, wings were yellow with a black stripe. He is the only one I've seen and he is usually with a bunch of sparrows that feed here. My family thinks I am obsessed. Lol

Aww, I tried, haha.  Pacha, I would try starting a thread (and ruling out a goldfinch in the first post haha).  Questions within a thread can be overlooked.

Lesser Goldfinches are tiny, and not all have black caps or streaks on their wings. I have a whole brood of them, and they are delightful to watch and listen to. Don't know where you are located, but check it out.

Julie

A small yellow bird caught my eye today.  I'm on the second floor in NW Austin - surrounded by what I believe are Live Oaks.  This little guy was a little bigger than a humming bird.  His colors were very similar to the picture of the Yellow Warbler that was posted.  The only difference I noticed from the picture was that my guy was sleeker.

He hopped around on the branches about 5 feet from my window for 5 minutes or so before flying off.

I'm keeping my eye out for him.

Cheers.

Mike