Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oceanus

Small Bird With Long Tail

4 posts in this topic

I'm in Conway, Arkansas. I was driving on a road in the city that so happened to cut through a bit of a plain, where I saw a bird for the first time. It was a pair of them in the road, they flew up out of the way of my car and landed back down once I had passed. We stood there and looked at each other for a bit, they not once made a bird call, at least I don't think they did thinking back onit. They were small birds, with small beaks. They may have had white overparts, maybe. But what was so distinguishing about it was the yellow underparts of them that went down and connected with the tail, which was a very long, flutey, almost like a whistle kind of tail. The tails in relation to the bird size was probably one of the longest I have seen, something like 3-4 times the length of the bird.

It sounds like a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  It's one of the birds that I would most like to see - but their range is fairly small and I'm in Ohio.  The range does include western Arkansas.  Someone probably has a beautiful photo to post for you, but take a look at this site.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Scissor-tailed_Flycatcher/id

Welcome to Whatbird!

Nancy