9 replies to this topic

#1 fluegel

fluegel

fluegel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:29 AM

In the photo section of this website is a photo of an owl sited 7/2/05 near Soda Springs, CA on Hwy 80 in the Sierra Nevadas.  After reading the identifications at this website I cannot nail it down but think it may be a short earred owl or a spotted owl.  Please take a look at the photo and let me know your thoughts.  Thx!  Happy 4th of July

#2 admin

admin

admin

• Administrators
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:56 AM

Using the search engine I picked Shape=Owl, Location=California, and *** Pattern=barred and got two Owls: Barred Ow and Buggowing Owl. I would say its a Barred Owl. The Burrowing Owl is 9 to 11 inches long while the Barred is 17 to 24, and your bird looks longer to me. Here they are side by side. The Burrowing Owl is a ground dweller, and since your's is in a tree that is another clue. Also the Barred Owl is more often found in forests while the Burrowing is in grasslands. The large eye disks are another clue that its a Barred, and the dark eyes (Burrowing has yellow eyes).

Here are all 12 Owls in the database.

It could be a Spotted Owl, but I see more of a barred pattern on the ***, not spotted. Can you estimate its size?

#3 David Lukas

David Lukas

David Lukas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

This is a very nice photo of a spotted owl. While it shows somes barring like a barred owl it has a lot of spots as well. A barred owl would show plainly streaked underparts. We saw spotted owls several times in the same area over the past two weeks and they have all looked like this bird. Thanks for posting such a great photo, hope to see more!

David

#4 admin

admin

admin

• Administrators
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:19 PM

Well color me spotted and red faced, David Lukas knows his birds and you can count on his analysis to be way better than mine. Just so you know who is talking, here is his and Simone's bio (Simone is the other orinthologist who contributes to this web site).

David Lukas and Simone Whitecloud are a team of naturalists based in Tiburon, California, where they offer a wide variety of high quality natural history programs in Marin County and throughout California. Programs include bird walks, nature hikes, evening slide shows, and classroom presentations. Many of these events are scheduled through local organizations and are open to the public, but Simone and David also arrange private custom tours for visitors who would like a fabulous introduction to the birds and natural history of Marin County or the San Francisco Bay Area. Here they offer the reviews of the birding products that they recommend on hikes and educational walks.

#5 fluegel

fluegel

fluegel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:02 AM

Thank you David.  After reading the spotted and short earred owl descriptions again I noted the eyes are brown, not yellow so it discounted the short earred owl.  That was a beautiful animal!  You can count on more photos.  It is quite enjoyable to hike and photo flora and fauna.

Happy 4th

Frank

#6 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,671 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

This is a Barred Owl

#7 Julie H

Julie H

Julie H

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz Mountains, CA

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:59 PM

Mitchell

I am having trouble with the links you posted, and I really wanted to see them. Am I doing something wrong? And I could not find the original photo either. You'd think that as a high-tech professional I should be able to maneuver through any website. Sheesh... Embarrassed

Thanks, Julie

#8 leveerat

leveerat

leveerat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

The problem with the links might be that they are almost 5 years old.

Here's my contribution to a dead thread,a Barred Owl. Tongue Tied

Attached Files

• Attached File  owl2.jpg   623.63KB   0 downloads

#9 Julie H

Julie H

Julie H

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz Mountains, CA

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Thanks leveerat,

Now it makes sense. It was late at night and I was not paying close attention to the date of the original post.

Julie

#10 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,671 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

Yeah. I wanted to be a part of the oldest thread. :]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users