8 replies to this topic

#1 Jello5700

Jello5700

Jello5700

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

Birding by Ear: Eastern and Central North America or Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs: Eastern Region? 

Next week im taking a family vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC from Indianapolis so I'll have 12+ hours in the car. So I thought it would be fun to learn to ID birds by there calls. Does anyone have experience with these CD's and which one do you recommend?

#2 natureboy

natureboy

natureboy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, La

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

i'm sure its good enough although i'm not familiar with it.  i think my friend has a Peterson's (not sure of the name, it may be a Nat Geo) CD and it is pretty good as well.  each track has the birds grouped into related species.  the only thing not so good about it is that there may be 10-15 species' songs on one track, so if you want to listen to a certain one, you may have to go through several minutes of songs first. 

#3 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts
  • LocationTauranga, New Zealand

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Petersons is pretty good

try here under the audio link

http://www.houghtonm...etersonhome.cfm

#4 DoityBoid

DoityBoid

DoityBoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

I just got the Stokes' Eastern Region CDs. I had bought my wife an iPod Touch (since her old iPod Shuffle finally died) and decided to put the Stokes' CDs on it using BirdJam software I bought at the same time.

I love that we now have a picture, text and a few calls for each bird handy like this for when we are out in the field.

#5 luv2bird

luv2bird

luv2bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

Whatbird has the "Hearbirds" learning course available on CD for $38, or an annual subscription rate of $24.95 per month at http://www.whatbird....rds-course.aspx  Funny you posted this topic. I looked on Amazon and eBay for used CD's but the balance wasn't less than $20 after shipping. I download the sounds from enature or elsewhere onto my PC then replay them before I go on outings to refresh my memory on the bird calls for the region I'll visit. Audubon members like to play them in thier cars traveling to and from but I find it distracting personally from actually hearing the REAL birds. Some people I know use the iPod recordings for pishing, but I don't personally, but sometimes I whistle.

#6 Dragonflyspit

Dragonflyspit

Dragonflyspit

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Stokes Field Guide to Bird Songs.  There is an eastern and western edition.  I have the western edition with 4 CDs with nearly 100 songs per CD.  It comes with a small guide to help you find the track for any bird.  I use mine constantly.  It doesn't really teach you about songs or how to learn songs, but it's the most complete guide of recorded bird vocalizations that I've ever found.  If a bird has several vocalizations, the guide tries to cover them all, or at least most of them (other than chip-calls).  

The one improvement I wish they'd make is to categorize songs by type in the guide (trills vs. whistles, etc), but I copied all 4 CDs to my laptop and I'm in the process of tagging them that way for easy reference when I hear a bird that I'm clueless about. 

I used to have a field guide on cassette tape, Peterson's or Audubon's, if I remember right, and it taught the types of calls and how to describe them, which was very helpful in learning, but not very helpful in the field.  

#7 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3408 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

I hear that the Stokes field guide to bird songs is a good CD.

#8 PONYRCR

PONYRCR

PONYRCR

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

"Who Cooks for Poor Sam Peabody" is a good cd for learning to bird by ear. 

#9 eric

eric

eric

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:50 AM

Stokes is very good.  I recommend it.  It contains multiple examples of songs (where applicable) plus call notes on 3 CDs.  Each species is anounced before playing (usually a little less than a minute per species).  I have no idea if it's any better/worse than other CDs to learn songs.  I treat it like a library to both learn from, and compare spectrograms against.

I do not have Birding By Ear, so I cannot compare.  The only other song CD I have is the dvd included with the Smithsonian Field Guide (package says 587 "songs" -- not sure if it's 587 species).  The Smithsonian dvd covers all N. America, so with 587 songs, was incomplete species-wise.  That is why I bought the Stokes CDs.

Playing in a car will definately be overload!  But it'll start the inundation process needed to get an overall feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users