7 replies to this topic

#1 bird newbie

bird newbie

bird newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

I live in Southern Ontario and just bought a finch feeder and put it out a couple of days ago.  I have seen a gold finch (at least that is what I think it was) fly through the backyard but not stop at the feeder.  The only action I have seen on it is a morning dove which was quite funny.  My question is....does it need to be farther away from my regular feeder?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi!  My finch feeder looks just like yours and the location is almost identical...(I have two BOSS feeders next to it tho.)  The finches have no trouble using it, and in fact, eat out of all three.  Sometimes it takes them awhile to "learn" about it...and....I've also noted that they are not visiting very often right now.  (sure saves on buying seed!)

During the winter I was filling it at least once a day!

#3 bird newbie

bird newbie

bird newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

So I can keep it out all winter also?

#4 lonestranger

lonestranger

lonestranger

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationActon, Ontario

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

I have my upside down, thistle seed feeder hanging opposite of my small gazebo style feeder on a shepherds hook similar to yours, bird newbie. Although there are times when the finches take off because one species of bird or another will fly to the other feeders, the upside down feeder still gets lots of action throughout the day. I'm no expert by any means, but I don't see the two feeders being close together as a problem. If you just put it up, give it time for the birds to discover it.

#5 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

bird newbie:
So I can keep it out all winter also?

Absolutely!  Between the Goldfinches, Siskins and Redpolls, (which you are likely to have all three) be ready to spend lots of money on seeds!

Attached Files

#6 beckaknows1

beckaknows1

beckaknows1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

I have a thistle feeder that's set up so that they can eat upside down and don't have competition.  I don't know if they prefer to eat that way but it's fun to watch!

#7 Guinness

Guinness

Guinness

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:32 AM

I would definately leave the feeder out during the winter. I was having 40 odd Finches a day visit my yard last winter.

Lets hope the price of nyger goes down. 

Nice shot Sandylee.

#8 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

Guinness:

I would definately leave the feeder out during the winter. I was having 40 odd Finches a day visit my yard last winter.

Lets hope the price of nyger goes down. 

Nice shot Sandylee.

Thank you, Guinness!  Looks kind of odd to see all that snow when it's about 90 here now!  One of the fun things on a cold winter day is to park yourself in front of the window and play with your camera taking bird pics and practicing with the camera settings for an hour or so.

I hear ya on the price of that seed!  Yikes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users