3 replies to this topic

#1 seedtick

seedtick

seedtick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

Twice this week I have spotted a swallow tailed kite soaring over my home. Once there were two of them flying along with two egrets. This is the third year I have spotted them. I am in the northwestern part of Jasper County, Texas. They are slightly west of the area shown on this site's range map. I suspect that the Neches River and the Angelina River bottomlands along with  Sam Rayburn Resevoir and B.A. Steinhagen Lake contribute to this fact.

#2 natureboy

natureboy

natureboy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, La

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:43 AM

aren't they great.  i have found these to be the most graceful birds i've observed.  about a week ago, i was actually leaving from an outdoor outing when i spotted a pair.  they were not hard to spot, as they were feeding in the trough created by the road i was driving on disecting two tree lines.  this was the first time this year that i observed a pair, and i must say that each time i see a swallow tailed, its a very memorable experience.  of the six or so sightings i've had this year, this was the best.  i observed the pair stooping in and out of the trees feeding on insects for about 10 or 15 minutes.  three times they glided right over my truck and i got a great view of them.  i've yet to find a nest site, but when i do, i'll take vacation from work and camp out in veiwing distance for a week or two and study them until i go crazy.

#3 j70460

j70460

j70460

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Natureboy, I'm in southeast Louisiana. I see a pair of Swallowtail Kites circling above the trees half a block from my house in the early evening.  I saw the first one near the Honey Island Swamp and didn't know what it was (I'm new at this).  They really are awe inspiring.

#4 natureboy

natureboy

natureboy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, La

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

you are lucky.  they must have a nest nearby.  where exactly are you seeing them, i don't know where honey isl. is.  i have not seen any since the single traveling bird i saw a month or so ago (pointe coupee parish).  i've passed the exact location i saw a pair feeding 10 times since then and no sign.  i wish they were as common as miss. kites, i see 5 or 10 of those at a time and quite frequently.  the Swallow Tailed Kites i saw in 2009 were as follows:

3-15  near borrow pit in WBR parish, seemed to be migrating north, it never stopped moving in that direction even though it seemed to be feeding

4-15  feeding over chem plant i work in, iberville parish

5-2  wax lake marsh, feeding bird obs for nearly 30 min

5-30  feeding over tree line on La 1 in WBR parish

6-09  pair feeding among tree line in Pointe Coupee parish near Old River, obs ~ 10-20min

6-19  fleeting glimse of single bird traveling west near False River in Pointe Coupee parish.

i love these birds and wish i could locate more of them. i'm planning a trip to south farms on sheurburn WMA in the near future which is know to hold good densities of STK's.  i'd like to see photos of your birds, if you could get some and post them on this forum, it would be great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users