3 replies to this topic

#1 hawkeyejoe

hawkeyejoe

hawkeyejoe

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

I heard a bunch of bluejays going crazy over this hawk and I couldn't identify it. It was dark brown with like a racoon tail with a white band at the top of it. Coud've been an owl? , though it was a size of a Coopers hawk... help !!!

#2 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

Welcome to Whatbird ...

There is an Identification forum that will get more response on your request for identification help.  Just check at the top of the forums page.

This site/forum is mostly for sharing photos and discussions on photography and techniques... and just to show that we are friendly, if you ever post another thread on the wrong forum... we will find you and reinstitute the historical practice of "drawing and quartering" after that you will be burned at the stake.

The bird description is a bit vague to me but perhaps a Harris Hawk.

Also date and location of the sighting help with the identification.

Fraser 

#3 birdseye

birdseye

birdseye

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

a northern harrier has a distinct white  band, right above the tail.. might try googling that... it is much bigger than a coopers though...you say " at the top", and i assume you meant toward the body end...good luck

#4 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

Certainly the Northern has the distinctive white band at the upper base of tail... but the OP said it was mostly brown... so Harris Hawk came to mind, with white on the tail.

I don't know of anything that matches exactly the description... perhaps there is more information to come>>>

Fraser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users