#1 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

Tufted Titmouse

A common and welcome visitor to backyard feeders, you'll be pleased with a visit from the Tufted Titmouse, the largest of the titmice found in the western hemisphere. The Tufted is a year-round resident of eastern woodlands feeding on insects, snails and spiders, shifting to fruits, nuts and seeds in the fall and winter. Tits seem to like people and often "reply" to human whistling. The dark eye-ring surrounding the black eye, along with the spiky blue-grey crest, gives this bird an inquisitive look full of character and personality making it a popular sighting in backyards across its expanding northern range. Watch for the to stop by along with chickadees and listen to these very vociferous birds chatter away as they enjoy the seeds and nuts provided.

#2 Candlemas

Candlemas

Candlemas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:55 AM

I live in Minnesota and this morning I went out to feed my dog and heard a Tufted Titmouse making its "peter peter peter" call. I was able to locate it sitting in my cedar tree.  I had a good view of the bird so I grabbed my binoculars and started watching it.  All of a sudden a Cardinal landed right next to it on the branch and the Titmouse went beserk, shaking all over and sounding some kind of alarm call.  The cardinal then proceeded to peck its beak into the open beak of the sounding Titmouse several times.  This calmed the titmouse and after a bit the Cardinal flew away.

Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior between different species before?  I feel priveledged to have seen it by I'm confused as to what it was all about.

#3 admin

admin

admin

• Administrators
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Wow that is an amazing story. I wonder what the Cardinal did to that Titmouse? Scared him or calmed him?

#4 Baiting Hollow Birder

Baiting Hollow Birder

Baiting Hollow Birder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

that almost seems like feeding behavior.  when young/juvi birds flap and sqwauk alot to get attention for food - the other bird - sometimes not even it's parent - triggred by the sight of open beak and sound - just feed it.  I know cardinals do this with other birds - and even with large goldfish in coy ponds - they  see the open gaping mouths and instincively feed it. 

#5 Niebla

Niebla

Niebla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

I agree that these are one of the cutest birds. With their (apparently) huge black eyes these tiny birds look like something drawn for a Disney movie.

Although they were abundant in Southern Texas last winter, it was very difficult to get the camera on them because they are so very active. I've never seen one sit still for more than a second or two. Attached is the best pic I've managed to get so far. 

http://www.whatbird.com/forums/photos/nieblas_gallery/category1037/picture3553.aspx

If your bird was staying put on the branch, even after the cardinal landed, I agree with BHB. I'll bet it was a fledgling waiting to be fed.

There's a good bird-watching tip in all this. If, in summer or fall, you see a bird of a usually very active species, just sitting as if nailed to a branch or fence, wait a while and there's a good chance a parent will be along to feed it. If you look around you may also find siblings.

Swallows, for example, are another kind of bird difficult to photograph because they feed (and even drink) on the fly, and seldom perch in plain sight.This Summer I started to see a lot of them perching on fence wires and each time I did, it turned out to be a fledgling waiting to be fed. When they see or hear an adult coming near, they get incredibly agitated: flapping wings, squawking, and holding their mouths open wide. For the photographer, this is a great opportunity.

Here are a couple of albums showing this behavior in Barn and Rough-winged Swallows.

http://www.whatbird....tegory1060.aspx

http://www.whatbird.com/forums/photos/upload_your_photos/category1063.aspx

Chris

#6 Fragglecat

Fragglecat

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Are the tufted titmouse and black-cresed titmouse the same species? They interbreed and have a mixed-color intermediate. Does that mean it can only count on a life list once?

(thanks, perhaps a dumb question, but I don't know!)

Life list: 161

#7 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

They each count separately on a life list, per the ABA. The black crested used to be considered a subspecies of the tufted, but they are now recognized as their own species.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 179

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 144

#8 Fragglecat

Fragglecat

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

They each count separately on a life list, per the ABA. The black crested used to be considered a subspecies of the tufted, but they are now recognized as their own species.

Hooray :D thanks!!

#9 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

I love Tufted Titmice!! They're soooo cute!!! For our 7th grade science project at my school we had to do a report on a bird and then dress up as that bird for school on Halloween. And I got Tufted Titmouse! I painted a white t-shirt to titmouse coloring and used a gray bandana as a crest. I have to admit-- I looked pretty adorable myself! :D And then we had to give our reports dressed as a the bird. It was fun to be part of a flock!!! :)

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242?

World Life List: 271?

ABA 2014 List: 72?

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#10 Fragglecat

Fragglecat

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

That sounds ADORABLE! We did bird reports in middle school too... mine was on some species of South American Motmot... I think I chose it for the name, bright colors, and fantastic tail :) Though we did not dress up in costume! That would have made it better x1000! How cute that must have been :D

#11 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

It was really fun!! And everybody's costume was amazing, and after all of the presentations we had a "Bird Lunch". We ate bird-related snacks like gummy worms and cupcakes shaped like mice. Overall-- BEST science project ever!!!!!

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242?

World Life List: 271?

ABA 2014 List: 72?

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#12 Zillie

Zillie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, Delaware

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

The tufted titmouse is a regular at my feeder. And I've caught him more than once sitting on the window ledge spying on me when I'm moving around in the house!

#13 mossfur

mossfur

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationColchester Ct.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yes the Titmouse is a real charater at my feeder at the begining of the feeding season they are always the first costumers,then its the chickades which are disbursed by the Titmice,and for a few days the Titmice rule the feeder and as time goes by i thnk the other species learn the Titmice's moves and get a better portion.

#14 Solitaire7

Solitaire7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

These little cuties are frequent visitors to my feeders. One day I was sitting in my living room and heard a knock at my glass sliding door. My yard is surrounded by woods so I panicked a bit that I had a burglar trying to see if anyone was home so I hit the floor! When I did, I saw a little tufted titmouse at the bottom of the door with a huge seed trying to crack it I guess on the glass door. Needless to say, I didn't open the door and let him in :)

#15 maerlyn8

maerlyn8

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I get tufted titmice (as we call them :)) all the time. They seem to always fly around in a small group with the chickadees. They love the live meal worms that I put out for them, but they eat just about anything.

My Bird Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maerlyn8/

#16 saintlover

saintlover

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I have a couple that come up on my deck to feed from the deck feeders. They are really adorable birds.

#17 saintlover

saintlover

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

They also seem to like the fruit blend I have put out and apple slices.

#18 Fragglecat

Fragglecat

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

The titmice are loving safflower seeds in the feeder right now, and the squirrels won't have anything to do with it. Win-win!

#19 dracula13

dracula13

13 Year-old Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationSunrise, Florida

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

cool

Life List: 142

Latest Lifers: Chimney Swift, Barn Swallow, Red-Eyed Vireo, Eastern Pheobe, Orange-crowned Warbler, American White Pelican, Snail KIte, Purple Swamphen, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal

Yard List: Blue Jay, Mourning Dove, White-Winged Dove, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Northern Cardinal, Common Grackle, Painted Bunting, Downy Woodpecker, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Palm Warbler, Pine Warbler, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, European Starling, Red-bellied Woodpecker.

House flyovers:

Turkey Vulture, Black Vulture, Short-tailed Hawk, Tree Swallow, Wood Stork, 

#20 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

gallery_7849_5011_244816.jpg

Life list (non ABA)- 235

Latest: Baird's Sandpiper
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me! 

Pizza list-  2

Latest: House Sparrow   :huh:

Thought of the day:  I identify my first mushroom and it had to be called "Stink Pot".  I don't think I'll carry that hobby too far, otherwise I may run into Dead Man's Fingers.  :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users