Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kimtress01

bird that sounds like lost kitten?

5 posts in this topic

Heard but not seen.

Does anyone know what bird this might be?

Habitat:

Western NC (near Black Mountain/Asheville)

Mossy rhododedron thicket in mountains

Time: Dusk/ Evening

Sound:

Single descending tone with a slight trilling sound. Repeated at common intervals.

At first I was unsure whether it was a bird or a kitten in distress. Sounds were coming from above. I could not locate the source in the dense foliage/ low light.

Thanks.

hmm... couple of ideas - depending on what exactly it sounded like - just that you describe it sounding like a kitten my immediate thought is a gray catbird.  They mew just like a small kitten and are numerous along the east - check to see if you can find a sound bite of that.. tho it does NOT sound like a note or trilly - it sounds just like a small cat going MEOW or MEW. If it's more of a note, trilly - at dusk... it COULD be an eastern screech owl - tho i've never thought it sounded like a kitten - they have eerie descendinig trilling "whistley" sounds right at dusk in the eastern woods.  Those are two ideas. any more description of the sound? 

yeah most likly a catbird....

sould be a mocking bird or starling aswell because u did not see it but most likly a cat bird because after all it is after all a catbird

Hi Jason. After listening to some audio clips I'm pretty sure that it was an eastern screech owl - unless it was a gray catbird imitating a screech owl. Thanks for your reply. Kim