Photo
- - - - -

No native Hawaiian birds in iBird Explorer West?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat!

BadCat!

BadCat!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Just bought iBird Explorer West thinking that it would fully cover Hawaii.  No such luck!  It seems that all the native Hawaiian birds I need help identifying are only found in Plus (and I assume Pro).  I really wish the app developer made that clear.  I would have kicked down the extra $10 on Plus if I had known.  Instead I just wasted $10 Sad

If you need help identifying Javan Finchs, Japanese White Eyes, Common Mynas, or Zebra Doves iBird Explorer West has you covered.  If you're looking for anything native, forget about West...

Contacted app developer with concerns.  Waiting for a response....  Will update this post.

#2 Anders

Anders

Anders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

It sounds like the last update may have improved this, at least to a degree:http://www.whatbird.com/forums/forums/thread/114318.aspx

Also, just FYI, the developers are working on a way to allow in-app upgrades, so you could get Pro at a discount for having the other version: http://www.whatbird....read/87022.aspx

#3 admin

admin

admin

• Administrators
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

BadCat!:

Just bought iBird Explorer West thinking that it would fully cover Hawaii.  No such luck!  It seems that all the native Hawaiian birds I need help identifying are only found in Plus (and I assume Pro).  I really wish the app developer made that clear.  I would have kicked down the extra $10 on Plus if I had known.  Instead I just wasted $10 Sad

If you need help identifying Javan Finchs, Japanese White Eyes, Common Mynas, or Zebra Doves iBird Explorer West has you covered.  If you're looking for anything native, forget about West...

Contacted app developer with concerns.  Waiting for a response....  Will update this post.

The new 1.7 versions of West, Pro and Plus have the endemic Hawaii birds as well as the rest of the gang now. We are continuing to add them.

#4 Julie H

Julie H

Julie H

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz Mountains, CA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the info. I am a high-tech professional but have difficulty with applications such as iStuff. I am. however, very interested in the Hawaiian birds, because I spent so much time there, that as soon as I can figure all this out, I will buy the apps that will help me indentify them. I know this: I will have to live wherever the Francolin Quail live because that's what I used to hear upon awakening in the mornings. Sigh,

Aloha, Julie

#5 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

iBird West 6.0 contains birds of Hawaii including a collection of some of the most popular endemic Hawaiian species, along with songs and photos. We will be adding more Hawaii birds.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users