6 replies to this topic

#1 iwojimmy

iwojimmy

iwojimmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:54 PM

Trying to ID brown birds with white wingbars seen in NYC in late June.

See Photo Gallery / Wingbars....Thanx in advance RR

#2 admin

admin

admin

• Administrators
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:03 PM

I'll let David make the final judgement but my guess is one of the Woodpeckers, perhaps the Red-bellied or the Pileated.

Here are all 9 Woodpeckers in New York. Click on the All Birds group and compare the flight drawings.

If you could make out the head that would be key. The tail is square which makes me thing I am wrong, as none of these have that kind of tail.. The Downy, Hairy and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker have square tails.

Looks like they are chasing away a hawk of some kind.

Mitch

#3 David Lukas

David Lukas

David Lukas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

This is an incredible image because it captures the spirit of the moment and the personality of the birds. While we're not familiar with this unusual angle and particular action, it strikes us that these two birds must be Northern Mockingbirds harassing a crow. The clues leading to this conclusion are their size relative to the crow (or raven?), the prominent wingbars, and overall body shape (longish tail, paddle-shaped wings). However, one bird apparently shows a square-tipped tail which wouldn't be typical for a mockingbird (though it's white outer tail feathers backlit against the sky might leave the impression of a squared tail?). This is an especially dramatic image because we think of mockingbirds perched in the backyard rather than in full attack mode high in the sky. Maybe someone has a better sense of what this photo is showing?

David Lukas and Simone Whitecloud

#4 iwojimmy

iwojimmy

iwojimmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:09 PM

Attempting to post 2 more photos.......wingbars two two and wingbars three.

Thanx again. Ray

#5 iwojimmy

iwojimmy

iwojimmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

Dear David and Simone,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am posting two more photos; Wingbars Two is the uncropped version of the photo you commented on. The six story building to the right is in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, a few hundred yards from the seventy story Verrazano Bridge; home to Peregrine Falcons....if the Parks Department signs at the foot of the bridge are correct. I'll keep an eye out. Wingbars Three should help establish the size of the birds, as the crow has just launched from a light pole. Enjoying the website. Thanx again.

Ray

#6 David Lukas

David Lukas

David Lukas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:27 PM

I agree that the Wingbar three photo helps determine that it's a crow. And your sense is that it's a crow too? In that case, those must be mockingbirds. Not many birds nest in cities so the choices are limited anyway. Thanks for the followup photos.

David and Simone

#7 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

Thats amazing /forums/emoticons/emotion-4.gif - you deduced the bird by what it is chasing. Never would have thought of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users