4 replies to this topic

#1 sues

sues

sues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

When I came home from work yesterday, I had a goldfinch laying, injured, on my deck. I live on the 2nd story, so it must have flown into  the patio window and injured itself.

I figured it would die, then I would take care of it and that would be that. Well, it didn't die after several minutes and knowing nights have been pretty cool around here, I put it in a box and brought it in for the night. It started drinking water from a dropper, too!

Now, its the morning after and I figured it would be dead when I got up, but its still living and seems to be alert! I can't believe it!

I can't bear to kill it, but I don't want it suffering either. What do I do with it?

Thank you for any input...

#2 grammarcat

grammarcat

grammarcat

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

Check with the vets in your area to see if any of them have any experience with wild birds. Even in they don't, they may be able to recommend what you should feed it. Your local conservation department may be some help in that area, too, but I doubt they'll be able to anything beyond that. If you have any wild bird/animal rehab centers around, they may be willing to take the bird.

#3 Obnates

Obnates

Obnates

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hate to state the obvious here, but do you know that it is indeed injured?  If so, yes, seek a rehabber, but if not, I would try to let it go.  You'd be surprised at how resilient some of these birds can be.  I had a redstart fly into my window once and thought it was dead, it laid so still.  It ended up flying away like nothing had happened after about 5 minutes.  Sometimes they just knock themselves out a little bit but then are fine to continue going about their daily business.

#4 grammarcat

grammarcat

grammarcat

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

Obnates:
Sometimes they just knock themselves out a little bit but then are fine to continue going about their daily business.

That would be a really funny sentence taken out of context.

#5 sues

sues

sues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Yes the goldfinch is indeed injured, we are going on 24 hours now since it was found on my deck. I really don't think it will be flying away, it appears to have a broken wing.  I have tried feeding it water, first from a dropper and it took to that well. When she had enough she quit drinking. This afternoon I tried sunflower hearts( from my birdseed stock) all ground up, mixed with a little water and used a dropper. She took to that well also! Next I tried the ground sunflower hearts with a little water to make a sort of paste. She ate quite a bit of that off of a measuring spoon! So, this is why I said earlier, that I hate to end it's life, because it is continuing to eat and drink...and...um...poop!

Obnates and Amy, Thank you for the suggestions. I am making some phone calls now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users