American Robin

#2 n2gzs

n2gzs

n2gzs

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:02 AM

The robins are quite prolific around our house this year. I witnessed at least 5 different nests produce offspring. Two of those nests are right by our front door, and one of them seems to be occupied again. Do robins re-use their own nests or possibly another robin re-use a previously established nest?

#3 n2gzs

n2gzs

n2gzs

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

n2gzs:
The robins are quite prolific around our house this year. I witnessed at least 5 different nests produce offspring. Two of those nests are right by our front door, and one of them seems to be occupied again. Do robins re-use their own nests or possibly another robin re-use a previously established nest?

Why yes they do.

Yes, they will, according to www.science.edu. They will also build new nests on top of old ones, including old nests of other bird species.

http://wiki.answers....e_the_same_nest

#4 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3408 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

When I went on a bird watching trip up to Dallas TX, we saw many American Robins. This winter, I've seen more than 10 robins in my backyard. They are pretty common here, though I don't see them often.

#5 grn mtn

grn mtn

grn mtn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

First sign of Spring: We had a January thaw after 2 weeks of single digit temps and 2' of snow; not much bird activity. Then temps climbed into the mid 30*F and they all came out of their hiding places. I had 20+ Sparrows on my backyard feeder with some Morning Doves mixed in, Red-Bellied and Hairy woodpeckers were flitting about. What surprised me though was the Robins, I had about 10 in my Cherry Tree (along with a bunch a Starlings and a few Cardinals) eating the cherries. First time I had witnessed that since planting the tree 6 or 7 years ago. Right place at the right time I guess.

I'm tring to upload some picts but its saying I can't? are you not allowed to add picts to someone elses thread?

#6 n2gzs

n2gzs

n2gzs

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

I'm seeing something this year I've never seen before; flocks of robins. 30-40 of them flocking together and feeding off the fruit (berries/seeds) of our bradford pears. Is it common for robins to flock together maybe when migrating?

#7 doodlebird

doodlebird

doodlebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

Also wondering about seeing a robin in the winter here in Mass. Is this a sign of global warming or did the poor thing miss the boat to go south? I have a photo but I'll have to re-figure how to post it.....I haven't used this site for many months.

#8 MotherGoose 8Nuts

MotherGoose 8Nuts

MotherGoose 8Nuts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

While gathering sap and making maple syrup in late Feb. / early March in N. Illinois I would see flocks of Robins in the woods. One day there would be none, the next day they would be all over. This would occur a month before my city dwelling friends would report their first Robin sightings.

If they can find enough food, they will stay in the area.

#9 Channy32

Channy32

Channy32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

Is it common to see robins in flocks?  I've always seen one or two hopping around my yard.  My Mom took some pictures of about 30 of them in their yard about a month ago.  I also saw another large group of them in someone's yard I was passing on the way to the grocery store. 

#10 YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

I would say that seeing American Robins in large feeding groups outside of migratory periods is quite uncommon, but if you are in the right place (abundant food resource, nice spot to be grounded, or what have you) when birds are moving, you may just witness a group in action.

#11 cwj2323

cwj2323

Ferhoodled

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

This year, more than any other, we have seen Robins eat the food we provide. Besides these dried berries, they have eaten peanuts. We've caught them in the platform feeder. One of our birding friends says she has one Robin who eats seed. I don't doubt that at all, especially this year when it's been so dry.

Also, we were able to enjoy them off and on throughout the winter. It was our first year to heat the bird bath and they used it quite often. In the winter drinking alone, but when it warmed up they started bathing.

Life list (non ABA)- 221

Latest: Ross's Gull
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-96
2013 Year list- 192
Yard list- 121

Latest: Ring-billed Gull

#12 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2393 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Do the same robins return to the same area every year. I ask because I happened upon a leucistic Robin this spring. I saw him/her (hard tell on this one) for a while and then nothing for a while. Saw it once more and now nothing for awhile. If it leaves for the winter (some stay all winter here) will it come back to the same area? Are my chances pretty good that I will see it next spring?

#13 cwj2323

cwj2323

Ferhoodled

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Do the same robins return to the same area every year.

From a quick search, many of the sites show that they will come back to the same nesting sites. Last year, we had a lot of Robins, this year even more, so I wonder (but cannot say for sure) if we had both parents and some young this time. I believe your chances are good. :)

Life list (non ABA)- 221

Latest: Ross's Gull
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-96
2013 Year list- 192
Yard list- 121

Latest: Ring-billed Gull

#14 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2393 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

cwj2323-Thanks I hope so. I try to go that direction every time I can in hopes of seeing it again. No luck for about a month now. I do see other robins but not the Leucistic. I miss him :(

#15 Richard Mueller

Richard Mueller

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationGlen Ellyn, Illinois

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

I don't remember seeing Robins in winter before. I live 35 miles West of Chicago and this winter has been harsh. As cold as -18F, a few days when it never got above zero, and constant snow cover since late December. But I saw a Robin January 13, and now again today, Feb. 1. It's in the upper 20's today, but I can't figure what it eats. The berries I know of were stripped off the bushes long ago. It drank a lot of water from my bird bath. My seed, thistle, and suet are of no use to a Robin. The only fruit I have is oranges, but so far no one has tried it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users