Photo
- - - - -

Black Capped Chickadee...but with pale yellow breast?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lindawild

lindawild

lindawild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Trying to identify a group of birds that were in my forested backyard in Mississauga Ontario this morning - they flew in as a loose group and clung to to the trunk of some large pines, hung from the branches and hopped to the forest floor.  One came close enough and looked very like a black capped chickadee, except my husband and I both thought his chest was yellow - not a bright oriole yellow but our impression was yellow rather than the "buff" or "light orange" colour that most ID sites say.

Any ideas about what this bird might be?  He was very small, perhaps 3 to 5 inches long, had a distinct black cap, white cheeks, can't clearly remember his throat, but do recall the yellow breast.

Thanks!

#2 WrensFriend

WrensFriend

WrensFriend

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationCentral Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

All the Black Cappeds that I have seen in my neck of the woods all have orangey/yellowish coloured bodies... This picture is from this morning.. Did he look like this?

Attached Files

#3 lindawild

lindawild

lindawild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

yes indeed, yet more yellow than this.  perhaps the lighting we had this am is to blame.  Is their behaviour as I mentioned? - thx

#4 WrensFriend

WrensFriend

WrensFriend

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationCentral Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

I'm not sure if they are in your area or not, but what about a red breasted nuthatch..  ??

#5 RJP

RJP

RJP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:19 AM

lindawild:
yes indeed, yet more yellow than this.  perhaps the lighting we had this am is to blame.  Is their behaviour as I mentioned? - thx

Yes, in the winter Black-capped Chickadees hang together in loose groups (however, not in spring/summer when they are very territorial).  The behavior you described is consistent with theirs.  As another responder said, just for completeness it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at Red-breasted Nuthatch, but I think you probably had Chickadees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users