• PipPipPip
  • 11291 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

What I would do to see you once, just once. . . *sigh* :(

ABA list: 381 Latest- Glaucous Gull
Yearlist: 173 Latest- White-throated Swift
Yard List- 96 latest: White-throated Swift
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#7 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2827 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

well their cousin imperial woodpecker was rediscovered, so little cousin has to be rediscovered to.
he is just hiding from us in the swamps where the bachman warblers live with him :ph34r:

Yard list 140
Bird lifers 369
Birds in Peru 90
Birds in the U.S. 294
Latest- Bachman's Sparrow, Ross's Goose, Barn Owl, American Tree Sparrow, Eared Grebe
Butterfly lifers- 68
Latest- Long-tailed Skipper, Palmades Swallowtail, Gulf Fritillary, Baltimore Checkerspot, Meadow Fritillary
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 17
Latest- Great Blue Skimmer, Powdered Dancer, Ebony Jewelwing, Halloween Pennant, Black Saddleback
Year list- 188
Latest- Magnolia Warbler

#8 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11291 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

well their cousin imperial woodpecker was rediscovered,

REALLY?!!? Your kidding, right? They're alive?

My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#9 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2827 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

yeah in 2009 there were people that went to mexico in a northern mountains area really bad with the drug cartell. but they did not see one but heard stories of people shooting them as pests in the last year and one person said in 2009 he saw 10 dead in someones yard just shot. while they were there they saw monster holes in trees made by imperial woodpeckers. also the cartell is burning down forests for drug planting killing even more habitat. if this post has offended anyone i will remove it

Yard list 140
Bird lifers 369
Birds in Peru 90
Birds in the U.S. 294
Latest- Bachman's Sparrow, Ross's Goose, Barn Owl, American Tree Sparrow, Eared Grebe
Butterfly lifers- 68
Latest- Long-tailed Skipper, Palmades Swallowtail, Gulf Fritillary, Baltimore Checkerspot, Meadow Fritillary
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 17
Latest- Great Blue Skimmer, Powdered Dancer, Ebony Jewelwing, Halloween Pennant, Black Saddleback
Year list- 188
Latest- Magnolia Warbler

#10 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

My dad saw one in his backyard in WI last summer.

Life List - 242

White-winged Scoter

#11 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5077 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

My dad saw one in his backyard in WI last summer.

Was that before or after he saw the Dodo? :P
Chace
Michigan List: 278

#12 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Was that before or after he saw the Dodo? :P

After but before he saw the Wild Carolina Parakeet of Wisconsin.

Life List - 242

White-winged Scoter

#13 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11291 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

lol

#14 Shoveler26

Shoveler26

Hawkwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

lol Well We all hope your still out there! Well actually a Ornithologist I know went on a search for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker and said they got a giant woodpecker that went into a tree hole and it had the white on the tip of the wing! So maybe they are still out there!

My Recent Lifers:Smith's LongspurWestern Grebe, Iceland Gull, Thayer's Gull, Ferruginous Hawk, Prairie FalconWhooping crane, Golden Eagle, Snowy Owl, Ross's Goose, Harris's Sparrow
Recent Yard List: Merlin, Eastern Screech Owl, White throated sparrow
My Year list: 122 / FOY'S: Eastern Screech owl, Red Throated Loon, White Winged Scoter, Glaucous Gull, Great Black Backed gull, Rough legged hawk, Snow goose, Eastern Meadowlark, Lapland Longspur, Red breasted Nuthatch, Barred Owl Snowy Owl, Hooded Merganser, Merlin, Greater white fronted goose, Cackling goose, Northern Shoveler,
My Indiana big year list: 150
My life list: 297

#15 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

There is an article in the current issue of Birdwatching that says that five different teams of researchers studying the Ivory-bill have all reached the same conclusion; the bird is extinct. Researchers have concluded that "the chance that the species hangs on today is 0.0064%. Said another way, the odds of finding a living Ivory-bill are less than 1 in 15625." The article goes on to say that if there had been 100 wild birds in existance in the 1930s the species would have gone extinct by 1980 and in a 1942 report James Tanner estimated that the late 1930s population was only 22 birds. You can read more about the research at BirdWatchDaily.com.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Blue-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser, Bald Eagle, Semipalmated Plover, Vaux's Swift: San Joaquin River NWR, Modesto, CA, 4/20/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

#16 CREWZIN

CREWZIN

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi. I've just joined this forum and will probably not come back. I wanted someone to know that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker is NOT extinct. I live in Lecanto Florida just 90 miles north of Tampa. I feed the squirrels and birds for a hobby. We have a large Oak tree in the backyard, 10 yards from our Lanai windows. This bird I've never seen before (we have two other woodpeckers that come around) came to our tree. It was only 10 yards from me so there was no mistaking it when I looked it up in Google which brought me to your site. Ran and got my camera but he/she started climbing the tree and the picture I have is very fuzzy and far away. Don't care if anyone believes me, my wife was there also. When I looked it up on your site I couldn't believe how rare this woodpecker was and just wanted to say something to this forum when I saw someone thought it was extinct. It IS here in Florida. Here's the only picture I could take as he went very high and into the leaves.

Posted Image

#17 CREWZIN

CREWZIN

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

He came back. Flew away after the last session. I chased him but he kept flying further and further away. 5 minutes ago wife came screaming into the computer room and yelled "he's back". I knew exactly what she meant and grabbed the camera. Again, he kept climbing higher and higher and by the time I got focus he was 50 feet up inthe tree. Yu can see better the shape of the head and he was pecking at the tree. Hope he comes down to the base of the tree later or sometime so I can really prove it's the Ivory-billed Woodpecker to those still in doubt. I'm positive it is.

Posted Image

#18 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5077 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

We wish it were true, but do you see a white patch on its back?
Chace
Michigan List: 278

#19 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20764 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

CREWZIN, you have a Pileated Woodpecker. Ivory-billeds are darker on the face and, as GreatHorn mentioned, have a white patch on the tertial and primary feathers, which would be obvious in the first picture you shared. I am not trying to shoot you down or anything. On the contrary, I give you a warm welcome and hope you stay with us.
However, I do think it is important to correct misidentified woodpeckers, since Whatbird often comes up on Google search, and posts like yours may be misinterpreted and consequently, misleading.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#20 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Crewzin! That's a beautiful Pileated Woodpecker you've got there. Welcome to whatbird! I'm jealous because I still need that one as a lifer. But I expect to get one by the end of the year :-)
"I'm not a Colonel"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users