Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Celine Cross

Bird Identification in Southwest Virginia

21 posts in this topic

I was walking near a stream in Southwest Virginia today, March 08, 2010 and discovered several feathers on the ground.  They grabbed my attention because of their color -  orange, yellow, brown.  I did not see a bird around to help me identify who they belonged to.   I hope that you can.  Thanks for your help! 

post-10932-331522512_thumb.jpg

I have no idea who these feathers belong to but I am making this post to move it up for others the see who might know. The addition of the picture I assume will help greatly.

Probably not.  I suppose I should have opted to use that tissue as a point of reference.  Hmmmm. I will return to try again!

No, they do not. These are not the feathers of a Varied Thrush. There probably most likely to be the feathers from a duck of some sort, though I can't tell right off the back what these really belong to.

I think they are flicker feathers, too.  Look how there is a defined point at the end of some of them (typical of woodpecker tail feathers), plus black and white barring, and a yellow shaft. 

Yup, Flicker feathers for sure.  I have found the same feathers and it took me awhile to figure out what they were, but for sure Flicker.

icon-quote.gif
stewart1998:
Looks like Flicker feathers to me.

Yup flicker it is got this picture off google.

post-8754-1497663032_thumb.jpg

Ah well. There goes my random guesses on a slow night. ;)

I found a site shortly after listing a ton of feathers that I was looking at, so it's not all lost. Always good to find new resources!

I am glad you posted this.  I found the same looking feathers in the summer and was completely dumbfounded at first. 

I agree with Northern Flicker yellow shafted

icon-quote.gif
greypaper:

Ah well. There goes my random guesses on a slow night.
;)

I found a site shortly after listing a ton of feathers that I was looking at, so it's not all lost. Always good to find new resources!

PLEASE! Give me the link! lol I need to look over feathers again...

icon-quote.gif
BirderMadeleine:
icon-quote.gif
greypaper:

;)

A really good site for feathers is the Feather Atlas: http://www.lab.fws.gov/featheratlas/index.php 

icon-quote.gif
Obnates:
icon-quote.gif
BirderMadeleine:
icon-quote.gif
greypaper:

;)

A really good site for feathers is the Feather Atlas: 

Much thanks Obnates...looking forward to using it for future feather IDs!

Thanks for all who responded!  My photo does not really do justice to the feathers.  A friend of a friend had the feathers in hand and made a guess that these were from an Eastern Meadowlark - much beloved by the feline family.

Yes, I'd say Flicker tail feathers... yellow shaft and the points on the end for the tail.   Hmm, I found a flicker wing and covert feather the other week... very common theme!

> Eastern Meadowlark - much beloved by the feline family.

Flickers spend time on the ground, so they could be vulnerable the same way.  Not really any cats where I found feathers, but a lot of hawks.