#1 Judi

Judi

Judi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationPlano TX

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their secrets for organizing their birding pictures.  I keep trying to formulate a plan, but can't quite figure it out.  Is it best to separate pictures by date, location, or type of bird, or some combination of all of these?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationTauranga, New Zealand

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:16 PM

I think it is all a matter of what suits each of us

For me I simply use the folders that are downloaded from the camera.

I set up a folder and then down load to that which means a folder for every day some times 2 aday. But then I am not a very orangised person but as i use adobe Bridge i use keywords and bridge knows where the images are so that helps me out Big Smile

#3 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:30 AM

I've been at this a year, and have tried a few different ideas.  I still just put them in folders arranged by place (Merritt_Island, Orlando_Wetlands_Park), then by date (2010_01_27, 2010_02_03).  I'd like a cross referencing system, so I could look them up by species, for example, but you have to be consistent with tagging them (the keywords that Kiwi mentioned) for that to work, and then you need software that can read and use those tags.

I bought Adobe Lightroom, which makes a lot of this easy (it also is a wizard with RAW processing, way better than Adobe Camera Raw), but I'm not really consistent about using it.  Lightroom can manage all of your images for you (you don't even have to know where you keep them, it'll do all that for you).  I prefer to keep them in my own folder structure, which is OK, as it'll work that way just as well.  It also can set up "virtual" folders by tags, or by certain EXIF data (origination date, focal length, etc.).  It can even sort by location if your photos are geotagged.

The only downside to Lightroom is that it's a bit expensive (though it's cheaper than Photoshop)

#4 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

I organize mine by (somewhat loosely) defined categories of birds.  Some birds get their own folder, like Loons, (because I can't stop taking pics of them!) and Woodpeckers (because that's the most prevalent bird in the yard) and Eagles (just because they are so cool and don't want to share a folder with other raptors!).  Other birds "share" a folder, like Chickadees/Nuthatches/Titmice  or Geese/Gulls.

After downloading the pics, I usually hold them just by date for a week or two till I decide which ones I really want to keep.  I'll often "date-tag" the photo in the title line, even tho this info is embedded in the pic's "properties".  Then they go in their respective folders.

I've found it VERY helpful to periodically review each folder and purge photos for which I have better ones with which to replace them.

I also have a folder on my Desktop for photo Favorites that I would absolutely SCREAM if I lost them in a puter crash.... so I can easily keep them on a separate disk.

#5 Judi

Judi

Judi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationPlano TX

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

Many thanks to all of you for the great ideas.

#6 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

sandylee:

I also have a folder on my Desktop for photo Favorites that I would absolutely SCREAM if I lost them in a puter crash.... so I can easily keep them on a separate disk.

Back-ups are tough when you start talking about thousands of high-res photos.  In my case, I just bought a Blu-Ray writer to help me with this.  With as many photos as I take and keep, DVD's just weren't cutting it.  Blu-Ray lets you write 25 GB to a disk (50 if you buy dual layer disks).  The writer wasn't too much ($150 or so), but the disks are still a bit pricey.  Definitely worth it, though, to avoid losing all the work I've done.

I've got an external hard drive with redundant disks, but that doesn't help in cases of fire or me just being dumb and deleting something.

#7 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Wise move, Lyceel! Yes

(my paltry little collection of photos obviously takes up MUCH less space than yours!)Stick out tongue

#8 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Well, when you start saving 12 megapixel RAW images (about 12MB each), it adds up quickly!  Smile

#9 Alilo6

Alilo6

Alilo6

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationSouth Central, IN

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

I, myself, have only one folder on my desktop called for all bird pics. Within that folder is separate folders. One for specific birds I can't quit taking pics of (like bluebirds or shorebirds that are confusing so I need to keep all angles of). Also in that folder is an Excel spreadsheet that is a North American Bird list - which I make sure to check off new lifers, a folder of blurry pics (ones that ID a bird but is not good enough to put with others) and a folder of locations (some of the places are just as stunning as the birds and I can't help myself but to photograph them as well).

I also have a birding journal program that I treated myself to for my birthday. I LOVE IT! The journal records everything and spaces for -- date, weather conditions,  photographic notes, photos, species info. The program automatically melds all the info into graphs for me so I can see -- for example -- how many types of a certain species I have, how many birds spotted at a particular location, number of new birds in a particular month, etc.

I back-up my photos on an external hard drive, but should do more.

#10 mschelly

mschelly

mschelly

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

would it work to:
use e-bird.com, which asks you for the number and species of birds you saw at a location on a particular day in a range of time
and then just keep all your photos on your computer and backups by date?
That way if you are looking for any bird species or any place you look it up in e-bird and then you find the date and then you look in your photos for that date.
You also are contributing to the world-wide bird count database and it also keeps your life list for you as well as various analysis functions (how often have you seen this bird, etc.).

#11 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,808 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

@mschelly - Yes, it could be helpful to crosscheck your findings with eBird. I think everyone should use eBird whether you take pictures or not.

I just use Picasa to organize my photos. I download my photos to different folders, usually based on location or by a trip. Some of the places I go to a lot get their own folder each year, because I might end up with around 500 photos from that location for the year. I then add the species name as a caption to the photo. It is really easy to search in Picasa, so I could find any "tern" from all my photos, no matter what folder it is in.

Picasa also allows you to create different albums. This doesn't actually duplicate any folders or images, but is just another way of viewing photos in groups within Picasa. I have a folder called "birds" that has one photo of each of the species I have captured.

Of course, Picasa has simple editing tools, and makes it really easy to upload pictures to the web, create web albums, and email pictures. You can also do other simple edits like adjust time and date, and you can manually geotag your photos as well. You can see a map of your photo locations, which is kind of cool.

Here is a screen capture of what it looks like inside of Picasa for me:
Posted Image

Latest lifers: Blue-winged Warbler, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Chestnut-collared Longspur, McCown's Longspur, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Brown-capped Rosy-Finch, White-tailed Ptarmigan, Pine Grosbeak, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Smith's Longspur, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch

Trip reports: Colorado 6/2014, Costa Rica 3/2014, Texas 12/2013, Central CA 8/2013, Arizona 6/2013, Midwest 5/2013, Hawaii 2/2013, Florida 9-10/2012, Monterey 8/2012, Salton Sea 7/2012, SE AZ 6/2012, Chicago 5/2012, Arizona 3/12, Arizona 12/11, Chicago 9/2011, Monterey 8/11, Arizona 12/10

#12 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

Finder Of The Maryland Pink-footed Gooses

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationTimonium, Maryland

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

My solution is similar to guy_incognito except I use Adobe Lightroom for my organization. It can do light editing but I only use it for organization as all my real editing is done in Photoshop.

So I import the pictures off the card and apply keywords that I want to be able to search on (or be searched on if later uploaded to my site). I then use the various flags, colors, and stars to indicate what I want to happen to the picture. While sorting I am also IDing and adding more keywords specific to the picture. After deleting what I want to I move the remaining RAW files to whatever folder I want (and my process moves on...). But Lightroom allows really nice collections and smart collections based on many aspects from embedded EXIF data to user entered keywords. It isn't free but its what I have been using and barring something very odd happening I figure I always will use it.

Benjamin

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#13 Muskokan in Mexico

Muskokan in Mexico

Muskokan in Mexico

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I use Photoshop Elements Organizer and create tags for each group with subgroups as i find specific species. I always tag for location and file my originals by date. I add a word descriptor to the date for the file title to help me remember. both Lightroom and PSE Organizer create thumbnails that are linked to your originals. this requires an additional back up of the catalog and therefore more memory.

I am generally satisfied with the system and appreciate being able to call up all my shots of say Elegant Trogon, and choose one or delete some as required.

#14 grandpawrichard

grandpawrichard

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I use Lightroom to edit all of my CR2 files. When I am done editing each photo I use Lightrooms great little feature of assigning the photo of a Star (1-5 stars). That way I can search Lightroom for say 5 star photos and it will bring all of them up. :) Normally when I am saving the photos I have a specific folder for "The Best of 2013 photos" and I only put the 5 star photos in it. It has subfolders for each day and month for both my photos and my wife's photos. That way we can easily find the photos we want. :)

Dick

#15 RocknRobin

RocknRobin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationCentral, Wisconsin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I have folders and subfolders.

For example, "Birds of Prey" ....then the subfolders Hawks, Owls, Eagles.....then I will have subfolders for the different species of hawks, owls, etc.

I have two portable external hard drives, with storage only. The WD Elements SE in the 1TB size. Stores up to 200,000 jpeg files. After I edit, I copy them to both of the portable hard drives. If something happens to one of them, I'll still have the other one. I do not store them on my computer. If I want to get one of my pics, I plug the device in and go right to the folder to get the file I want. Super easy and saves room on your computer. The only time mine are kept on my computer is during the time I am editing a batch.

#16 I'm a believer.

I'm a believer.

Save Endagered Birds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

I organize them by species.

Profile Pic photos come from these sites:1- http://perierga.gr/2...???-??????????/2- http://www.allaboutb...e.aspx?pid=2267

Worldwide Lifelist: 389

Spoiler

ABA Lifelist: 221 
recent lifers: Sanderling, Sandhill Crane, Winter Wren, Cliff Swallow, Snow Bunting, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike

coolest lifers: Yellow-bellied Elaenia, Sandhill Crane, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Black Skimmer, American Flamingo, Spruce Grouse, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike, Hepatic Tanager
Ontario List: 175

Mexico List: 110 (final count)

Costa Rica List: 110

2014 ABA Yearlist:147

2014 Worldwide Yearlist: 264

coolest yearbirds so far: Common Goldeneye, Harlequin Duck, Iceland Gull, Peregrine Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker, Snowy Owl

Spoiler

"Birds are the most accomplished aeronauts the world has ever seen. They fly high and low, at great speed, and very slowly. And always with extraordinary precision and control."

— David Attenborough

Spoiler

My Goals for this year (in spoiler):

Spoiler
<p>

.5 DAYS TIll England!

Trip reports

http://www.whatbird....o +trip +report

http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry662056

http://www.whatbird....ns-trip-report/

#17 Deven Bhandari

Deven Bhandari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I often use www.birderz.com to organize photographs by species. It is online only service though.

#18 Rogue Birder

Rogue Birder

Going Rogue!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I use a location/date folder structure for my bird photographs - it matches what I use for my non-bird photography.

Folder for the location, with a year-monthday subfolder for that location. Inside the date folder I have folders for the original files, ones to edit, ones to post to eBird, and any final processed photos.

Any folders I have added to since the last backup I label with green - The folder also contains a map of the location if applicable (like trail maps)

Posted Image

Life List - 313; Year - 266

Year to Date - Ohio - 251; Indiana - 152; Illinois - 29; M*ch*g*n - 60; Kentucky - 38

Backyard List - 83 - Least Flycatcher (May 11, 2014) Great Crested Flycatcher (June 23, 2014) Eastern Wood-Pewee (July 6, 2014)

States: Ohio - 265; Indiana - 190; California - 75; M*ch*g*n - 64; Maryland - 58; Kentucky - 38; Pennsylvania - 38; Illinois - 29; Tennessee - 6; Texas - 2 

Latest lifers: Black Tern (June 24, 2014) Little Gull (June 24, 2014) Northern Bobwhite (July 17, 2014)

My Blog - Rogue Birder

My Flickr - Rogue Photo

#19 Lonestar

Lonestar

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

Keywording through a browser like Adobe Bridge, Zoom Browser is the only way to go for me.  No matter where the photo is on my computer I can find it through a key word search

Lonestar North

Lakeland Florida

www.lonestarnorth.com

#20 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

I organize mine like a Sibley. Embarazine sparrows and allies, for instance. I do, however, have some special folders for birds I follow.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 282 (one is under discussion)
To go: 83

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users