Photo
- - - - -

ID a call - electronic machine gun rattle!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beluga1_99

beluga1_99

beluga1_99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

I am trying to identify a bird that just moved into the area.  I've been here for 6 years and I heard this call last spring as well.  However, I don't hear it really any other time of the year.  It sounds like a machine gun (well, the movie version) with an electronic slant.  The call doesn't rise or fall nor does it have any odd beginnings or endings. Its just a rattle.  I haven't seen the bird so I can't give much on the color, shape, size, etc.  I live in Covington, GA which is a suburb about an hour east of Atlanta.  I am in the middle of the woods in a neighborhood.  I'm pretty good at Id-ing birds that are common to my area.  I've seen a pine warbler in the area but I'm not sure what it sounds like.  Bear in mind that I hear this most in the morning when I walk my dogs so the bird might not have woken up all of the way. ;) Thoughts....thanks!

Erin

#2 Jim Penny

Jim Penny

Jim Penny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Did you consider the Woodpecker Family.  I've also read where someone described the sound of a Prothonotary Warbler as a machine gun.  Not sure about that, just passing it along.

#3 crjenkins

crjenkins

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

The Wood Thrush does a pit volley call which sounds like a machine gun

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 5,248 posts