#1 Terren75

Terren75

Terren75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

Hello everyone,

I am in need of a detailed view of swan genitalia. This is strictly for education purposes. I have searched the internet thoroughly to no avail. What I am looking for specifically is a view of the male "cob" swan phallus. This is for research having to do with the myth of "Leda and the Swan." I have found various articles, videos and pictures of other waterfowl reproduction but not much for the swan. In fact, the only information I could find is an author referring to swans as  having similar genitalia as other waterfowl but no pictures. If anyone could help me either by sending me a picture or pointing me in the right direction I would be very thankful. -Terren

#2 ivmeer

ivmeer

ivmeer

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPawtucket, RI

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

I'm not an expert on birding, but I have worked in libraries, and I'd definitely suggest going the print route on this one.  Many universities have entire libraries dedicated to science, and you might have luck looking through the same books that ornithology students are reading.  Looking at any type of genitalia online is always a risky proposition anyway and is likely to infect your computer with all manner of spyware and viruses.

#3 YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

A curious lesson this must be!  The mysteries of the avian intromittent organ is actually something of a hot research topic among some notable ornithologists of the academic persuasion...seriously.  If you haven't tried google scholar, it is a good starting point to the primary literature.  If you dig enough among the references there, something will surely lead you to a photograph or line drawing that has been in print somewhere...I know it exists, but I can't say exactly where I'm afraid. The only draw back is that you might have to pay to access certain articles, but if you are anywhere near a university with a solid collection, I bet a nice librarian can help you from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users