14 replies to this topic

#1 Mayberryman

Mayberryman

Mayberryman

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

I would like to start this off by saying I am an old guy (62) and have had a normal interest in photography for a number of years taking mostly sports related photos, mostly motorcycle and car racing.  In the past couple of years I have began to design my back yard to both feed birds and to enjoy it as a daily outdoor activity with my wife of 39 years.  I have read about and looked at, hell I even attended a local camera club, switching to digital, however, I now have a system of 3 minolta X 370 cameras, and the following for lenses.  50MM. 135MM, 200MM 70-200MM and a 60-300MM.  I also have a 2X converter as well as all of the normal lens caps, body caps and a tripod.

So, my problem is that the cameras are old, I am old and I feel I have too much time, energy and money invested to switch.

Again, I ask, am I the only fool who still goes to the store to purchase the proper speed film for the project at hand?

Oh, I almost forgot, my main object will be in taking the pictures of the birds that visit the feeders and bird baths which are between 15 to 40 yards from my backdoor photo sniper nest.  Perhaps I might venture into the relative wild of near by parks to expand my collection of possible subjects, and at that time I will see if my 60-300 MM with the 2X converter will be enough for that situation.

Any and all advice and snickers will be appreciated.

#2 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Welcome to Whatbird - I'll offer my two cents.....

I'm sure you aren't the only person still using a film camera but I believe (I'm not 100% sure though) that most photographers have gone digital.  It's much better - you don't have to wait to see your photographs, you don't have to worry about "wasting film", and you can just do so much more with digital photos - e-mail to friends/family, do some formatting with the right software, etc.  And although you don't want to spend more $$ to switch to digital, the $$ you spend on film would be eliminated, so if you plan to take a lot of photos, it might be your best bet.  However, that's only my opinion..... perhaps others will have more input.

#3 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts
  • LocationTauranga, New Zealand

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Mayberryman:

I would like to start this off by saying I am an old guy (62) and have had a normal interest in photography for a number of years taking mostly sports related photos, mostly motorcycle and car racing.  In the past couple of years I have began to design my back yard to both feed birds and to enjoy it as a daily outdoor activity with my wife of 39 years.  I have read about and looked at, hell I even attended a local camera club, switching to digital, however, I now have a system of 3 minolta X 370 cameras, and the following for lenses.  50MM. 135MM, 200MM 70-200MM and a 60-300MM.  I also have a 2X converter as well as all of the normal lens caps, body caps and a tripod.

So, my problem is that the cameras are old, I am old and I feel I have too much time, energy and money invested to switch.

Again, I ask, am I the only fool who still goes to the store to purchase the proper speed film for the project at hand?

Oh, I almost forgot, my main object will be in taking the pictures of the birds that visit the feeders and bird baths which are between 15 to 40 yards from my backdoor photo sniper nest.  Perhaps I might venture into the relative wild of near by parks to expand my collection of possible subjects, and at that time I will see if my 60-300 MM with the 2X converter will be enough for that situation.

Any and all advice and snickers will be appreciated.

Enough of the old guy stuff I am 59 and I ain't old. In answer to your question NO there are still many out there that still use the film but like me many have discovered the wonders of digital for these reasons I an not limited to 24 or 36 shots as I am on a roll of film I can shot as much as my SD card will hold and that is in the hundreds depending on what I have the size set at I don't have to worry about darkrooms or chemicails or taking my rolls of film to a processor and then get them back on a cd disk So many use digital as it is a huge cost saving and as such I can mess up shots set the shutter to fire at a continuous rate to try and get that great shot I am not trying to save my film and waiting for that truely wonderful shot by the time it comes I have missed so many great shots.

The Digital world now is in the reach of many of us with out all those prohibitive costs

#4 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

Allow me to rein-in this rooster! I am 57 years old fully retired professional industrial photographer who has spent over 40 years in photography and I still shoot film. I shoot 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film. Sheet film costs about $3.00 a sheet, that's one image not 36 exposures! There is a lab in NY that processes my work for $7.00 a sheet, just b/w. Sometimes I'll process my own black and white in trays and I even still do my own printing of b/w. I won't shoot color chromes or even color neg 4x5 sheet film unless it's for a client and they are paying me up front for the costs. The 4x5 camera I carry is a Calumet monorail view and a Wista Field View. Still have and use a Crown Graflex, too!

If I shoot any weddings, now I charge bucks pard! Ya can't hirer me for a couple of Benjamin s, I'm shoot medium format(6cmx7cm) Mamiya RZ film cameras. Why? Film gives me that hard copy that digital can't! Medium format film 220 rls, cost about $15 a roll and there are 5 rolls in a box and doing the course of a wedding I would normally shoot a 1/2 case, plus have back-up film cameras just in case something went wrong with what I'm using, and that is a Kowa. 

I also shoot 35mm for fun and profit too! For b/w I shoot film 36 exposures but I only expose for 33 frames because I want a good leader when processing. I haven't yet found a great way to convert a digital color image to b/w. So I still shoot film. My little 35mm film cameras include 2 each Nikon F2AS; Nikkormat FTB, FTN, an F5 & F6. My Cannon film camera is an EOS. For 35mm chromes I shoot Kodachrome 64 only and I still have in my freezer 3 cases of Kodachrome 25 that you can't buy anywhere...there is only one lab in the US that'll process K-14 any longer! I also don't buy my film at a cheap Walmart either....Kodachrome 64 runs about $12 per roll w/processing! So get off your dinosaur and contribute your images and be respectful of the constructive criticism you may earn!

LONG LIVE DIGITAL!

As for your glass it's okay! But if you want to get close without losing speed(w/your 2x converter you'll loose at least 2 stops) you should try and get a 600mm f/4.5. I have two 600mm primes one for the Nikon gear and one for the Cannon. Birds at feeders and at baths are common sights. Set your sights on branches and limbs and you'll have a better photograph!

As to getting film images to the 'puter I use an Epson 4870 Perfection scan which will handle any format to 8x10. My printer is an old Cannon i9100 that uses six inks at $10.95 each. My 'puter is a Dell XPS 420 w/8GB RAM and a hard drive of 160 GB. Backup is by Western Digital Imagery External Hard Drives and Gold Plated DVDs(ain't cheap)! My lens collection is like walkin' into a museum and they all work, cameras too, they are in mint condition...cause I may not as old as you but I take care of what I got! I shoot film and I love digital!

Pardon me for writing a thesis, but I ain't done....in the world of photography ya gotta spend money to make money...this is for fun and I'm havin' the time of my life. Film is still the cheapest part of it all! Digital that's just a little time and it's fun. My monitors are 2 each LCD panels. 24" for imagery only and a 17" panel for storing PS CS4 & PSE 7 & 8 tools. Film too is fun if ya know what you are doing! Just because you rutted yourself into film doesn't mean you can't break the chains that bind ya! Digital is da bomb! Thanks for allowing me to interject!

#5 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Renodesertfox:

I also shoot 35mm for fun and profit too! For b/w I shoot film 36 exposures but I only expose for 33 frames because I want a good leader when processing. I haven't yet found a great way to convert a digital color image to b/w. So I still shoot film. My little 35mm film cameras include 2 each Nikon F2AS; Nikkormat FTB, FTN, an F5 & F6. My Cannon film camera is an EOS. For 35mm chromes I shoot Kodachrome 64 only and I still have in my freezer 3 cases of Kodachrome 25 that you can't buy anywhere...there is only one lab in the US that'll process K-14 any longer! I also don't buy my film at a cheap Walmart either....Kodachrome 64 runs about $12 per roll w/processing! So get off your dinosaur and contribute your images and be respectful of the constructive criticism you may earn!

Photoshop CS4 and CS5 have a good hold on black and white conversion now where you can alter the color sliders to get the best density of the colors into the best tones of grey to suit the image there are also a number of plugins that have presets or you can create your own preset and save that for use Nik Software has one called  "Silver Efex Pro".

If you shoot in raw then the latest Adobe camera raw has a good B/W conversion as well

#6 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Thanks kiwi, I'm still playin' with it. Just cause I said it in the heat of the moment doesn't make it so....CS4 is a great conversion, but I still like blasting a roll or five of XPII through a camera. While shooting film, I understand color enough to know what I'll get with b/w film. In CS4 the blacks just aren't black and the whites aren't white enough. I really dig shootin weddings in b/w film for the extremes. In digital, it's more work and I just like having fun, call me lazy! I'm going to get CS5 in a month or so, so many good things have been said about it that the money is burning a hole in my pocket, I'll get it, soon! Promise! Thanks for your $0.02 its means a good for me!

There ain't nothin but RAW! That's what's it all about...do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around, right? Ha Ha!

#7 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

here is a shot of a pukeko in the color and just under this post i will post my B/W version let me know if you think I have it right.

Attached Files

#8 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

B/W Version

Attached Files

#9 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

You're a day ahead of me...gotta let the conversion sink in a bit. At first take, there is no separation from the green leaves to the body of the bird. It still needs work. It seems a little flat. Please don't ban me from ever coming on here again. B/W conversion is a hard taskmaster. please, it'll do but won't win any competitions. To bad we can't pm each other and work through this without letting the world in!

#10 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Renodesertfox:
You're a day ahead of me...gotta let the conversion sink in a bit. At first take, there is no separation from the green leaves to the body of the bird. It still needs work. It seems a little flat. Please don't ban me from ever coming on here again. B/W conversion is a hard taskmaster. please, it'll do but won't win any competitions. To bad we can't pm each other and work through this without letting the world in!

I don't mine hard critiques at all it is in fact how I learn I take it in and rework things I in the past have been hard on some but again it is really a good way to learn stuff

I tried a quick rework and it is better so thanks for the input. Worked the RED,BLUE and GREEN sliders

Attached Files

#11 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Holy cow, you nailed it!

#12 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

I mean wow!!! You nailed it....start a thread of just b/w bird picks....I'm in...not today though! Ha Ha! Wife is due home shortly and I gotta run away soon and turn into a pumpkin! + I'm a mod a campingforums and you know the song n dance....! Tomorra sure I'got some b/w! This is fun! Thanks for sharing!

#13 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

That was CS5 right?............

I just landed a 5D off ebait and it arrived today! Gotta play catch-up to kiwi! You understand! CS5...it's burning a hole!  But I'm still shootin' B/W, by cracky!

#14 thekiwi

thekiwi

thekiwi

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2555 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

yes CS5 but from what I can remember CS4 has the same B/w conversion

#15 Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

Renodesertfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Yes, you're correct CS4 has a good b/w conversion, I just like shootin film, getting my hands wet, and then scanning. Perhaps this winter I'll get back into more computer work. But right now it's campin season up here and I'm leaving tomorrow for a 5 day romp in the wilderness again! I guess it's winter in the southern hemisphere? Gotta run!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users