#1 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

After a fairly long period of no progress I got three new yardbirds over the last two weekends. 

Very poor photos but confirmed birds.  Taken last weekend, a Western Kingbird and Black-headed Grosbeak.

Attached Files

#2 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

And this weekend, my 2fer.... A yardbird and lifebird.  Barn Owl.  This one did not like me at all.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BAOW.jpg   179.49KB   29 downloads

#3 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Nice find, Matt!!  Question (probably stupid) -- when you say "yardbird" or when someone says "backyard" birds, do they literally mean the birds were seen in their back yard?  Or does it just mean they are in your local area?

#4 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

I label all my lifebirds as yard, metro area, state, and other

My yard list consists of birds I took pictures of in/from my yard, so my cormorant and vulture were fly overs.

The Barn Owl was in this tree...

http://www.whatbird....howThread.aspx

It was really disappointing as I look at that tree most every day.  I was doing yard work when I spooked it out.  It landed in the pine tree next door.  I could have gotten a much better shot had I had my act together.

My workmates and I started a bird list at the office too.  

#5 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:51 AM

Matt:

I label all my lifebirds as yard, metro area, state, and other

My yard list consists of birds I took pictures of in/from my yard, so my cormorant and vulture were fly overs.

The Barn Owl was in this tree...

http://www.whatbird....howThread.aspx

It was really disappointing as I look at that tree most every day.  I was doing yard work when I spooked it out.  It landed in the pine tree next door.  I could have gotten a much better shot had I had my act together.

My workmates and I started a bird list at the office too.  

That's interesting (and I can relate to finding birds AFTER I scare them off - hate when that happens!).  I label my life birds according to a more specific location (i.e., Dana Point, San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary) or the city, if it's an off-beat place that just happened to have a new bird for me.  I live in an apartment complex so I don't really have a "back yard"; just a balcony, or the lake in the middle of the complex (which I have found many good birds at)

#6 Alilo6

Alilo6

Alilo6

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationSouth Central, IN

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

I'm like you Curlybird in the regard that I organize my list in specific areas. I can go back and look to see which areas are more productive or possibly worked out and I need to move on or just enjoy the scenery in a particular area. I consider my backyard as the actual backyard -- including air space.

My backyard is small, but has a diverse offering -- couple of large trees, low brush (including raspberry bushes), a really nice size brush pile, fence row, some nice stumps and plenty of privacy. Could you put out large pots of flowers or a bush to entice visitors Curlybird?

#7 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

I got another yard owl this past weekend, a Great Horned.  Back to back owls is really cool.

Attached Files

• Attached File  GHOW.jpg   240.71KB   16 downloads

#8 Jim Penny

Jim Penny

Jim Penny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Matt:
I got another yard owl this past weekend, a Great Horned.  Back to back owls is really cool.

I wonder,, did you find some of your other yardbirds suddenly missing?

#9 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Interesting comment Jim.  During migration and into winter we know when a hawk is present, everything becomes quiet.  I did have a yardbird go missing after this visitor....

#10 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Matt:

Interesting comment Jim.  During migration and into winter we know when a hawk is present, everything becomes quiet.  I did have a yardbird go missing after this visitor....

100% Sharpie, right?

#11 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Good call, yes Sharpie, those skinny legs say it all.  That was a really fun encounter very early in my birding experience.  This was a 2fer too, lifebird #19 and yardbird #9. 

#12 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

Nice shot of the Sharpie, Matt - I have only crappy pics of one that I found last year.

#13 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

Had another Great Horned encounter this morning.  Chased two of them back and forth between my home and the house next door.  Pretty cool.  I finally got a keeper.

Edit: BTW, the grackles were going crazy during all this.  The same thing happened during the Barn Owl encounter.  If you ever hear screaming grackles, look for a raptor.

Attached Files

• Attached File  GHOW.jpg   348.11KB   14 downloads

#14 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

Nice shot - you're so lucky - seeing all these cool raptors right in your backyard!!

#15 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

I am on a roll.  Here is bird 59.... Killdeer, poor picture, but all I want for this list is a positive ID shot.

Attached Files

#16 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Thanks to Kryptos and Poormatty a real celebration, bird  #60, a Gilded Flicker.  I hold Fraser personally responsible for missing the facial pattern that Kryptos pointed out.  A total color failure on my part.  Next time I hear a bird I am not going to point it out....

The top shot is my latest, the orange/red bird is a Northern I caught last winter.  Here is a side shot of the my new bird.

Attached Files

#17 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hummm Yes... I guess that I'm responsible. (not sure for what???)

There is more to the story here.   

Matt gives me a call on Sunday evening, at the cocktail hour, and says that he has a new bird in his yard.  (I don't have a Guilded)

I rush over there... journey of almost 500 miles... but I'm traveling at just below light speed. (for a new bird)

By the time I get there.. I notice that Matt has been preparing for my arrival.  At least he could have hidden the drum set that he had been pounding on... for twenty minutes... to spook the bird.

It was bad... hardly a sparrow in his famous 60 yard bird area.

And although Matt had not processed any of the pictures that he had taken... prior to the drum beating... somehow... somehow... I'M personally responsible.

Go figure.

And NOW... he is beating those drums again... claiming victory.

Again... SIGH...

Fraser

#18 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

I celebrated my 60th bird with an email to a bunch of friends one of which was a professional birder.  He was a bit surprised that #59 was a Killdeer and that it took me that long.  That got me to thinking, what should my expectations be?  My city list, including my backyard is 129.  I reviewed that list and was very dismayed..... there are very few opportunities left.  I am going to have a tough time getting to 70 unless I spend a month on my back with my camera waiting for a fly over migrant.  There are a couple of things that I am going to do sometime... make something involving water and start a platform feeder due to a  grosbeak not liking my offerings.  Bird 61 was on my short list of opportunities.  I expected to catch it flying overhead while I was chasing some warbler.  What I didn't expect is for my wife to spot it when it landed next door.  My neighbor has a small water feature with koi and mosquito fish.  Excellent!

Great Blue Heron           

Attached Files

#19 YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

I like the way you categorize the birds within your life list (yard, metro, state etc...), I'm considering adopting a similar organizational scheme.  You've been having some great luck with the owls!  Another encounter with Great Horned, and two at that!  Congratulations!  (I'm just a little jealous...)

#20 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

It's been two and a half months since my last yard-bird.  I am going to step out on a limb and say American Robin.  #62

Attached Files

• Attached File  AMRO.jpg   284.3KB   14 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users