Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pware

Brown water bird with orange beak

10 posts in this topic

It's a Greylag Goose.

Nice shot too

EDIT : One more note, on your flickr page, the bird you have marked as a juvie Cooper's Hawk looks like a young Merlin. It's definitely a falcon. 

I may have missed the bird that Adore707 is referring to.  You may have already fixed it.  I do see a photo of a Merlin in there that is correctly labeled Merlin and a photo of a Cooper's Hawk that is correctly labeled Cooper's Hawk.  However, there is a bird labeled a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk that is definitely an accipiter and looks like a Cooper's to me.

Your photos are excellent.  Really beautiful work. 

Thanks Adore707 with id.  I am much better with photographing birds than with identifying them.  Also, I appreciate your correction in identifying the Merlin.  Any other corrections are welcome!  Thank you again.  And I'm glad you like the shot!

PoorMatty, I just corrected the Merlin.  Could you tell me the date of the photo that I labeled as a Red-tailed Hawk so I can correct it as well.  As I've said many times, I have great difficulty identifying  birds.  And thank you so much for the compliment on my photos!

Just to be sure as I could not find the Greylag Goose on the Cornell site - is this the Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons)?  Thanks again!

The photo was from September 19.  Incidentally, the presumably unidentified hawk on October 2 is a Northern Harrier.

The Greater White-fronted Geese have "white-fronts" (the front of their face is white), which your photo does not reveal.

Well, it's late now, but it looks like tomorrow I have some corrections to make.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  The folks at Whatbird are the best!