#1 Seattle

Seattle

Seattle

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend. WA

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

I found this story  about owls in BC.  I actually called an exterminator and asked what the best way to control rodents.  They suggested poison, and when I asked if that made the dead rats  / mice dangerous of they were eaten and he said "NO".  Maybe I should send him the story:

http://seattletimes...._poison12m.html

#2 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

That's unacceptable!!!  Something needs to be done about this - anyone we can write to??

#3 Seattle

Seattle

Seattle

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend. WA

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

I guess the EPA?  I don't know - but I was shocked when the guy told me that the rodents were harmless after they ate the poison.  My assumption was that any animal that ate poison was then just as poisonous.  I've had barn owls, barred owls and great horned owls in my fir trees at various times in the last year, not to mention my two dogs.  There's no way would I allow rat poison in my yard.  If a pet eats that type of product the vets have to give the dog / cat vitamin K in order to keep then from bleeding to death - that's what this stuff does.  We got a couple of traps and now they're all gone - for now.  We put the traps along the fence line inside storage containers with small holes cut out - it worked like a charm.  We've done that with a 5 gallon bucket also.  Cut a hole in the lid and laid the bucket on it's side.  The average Joe does not need this kind of product.

#4 YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

This is a story that is relevant to bird and wildlife and pet lovers the world over.  Using poison to control rodents may be effective and simple, but it is also lazy and irresponsible for all the reasons mentioned here.  Snap traps or live traps are the responsible way to go, but the problem is that not many people like to deal with setting them, let alone removing and disposing of the victims.  I recommend snap trapping only inside your home though, those rodents that stay outside are owl food after all.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users