7 replies to this topic

#1 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

Whatever your political convictions may be, as someone interested in birds you were probably (like me) hopeful that President Obama's election would mean significant advances in environmental legislation and protections, and a turning back of the Bush-era anti-environment/ pro-industry retrogressions.  Not to deny the president his due---he has done some good things---his administration is not doing right by the Spotted Owl, and is in fact worthy of a report card similar to that of his predecessor.  Sad.

http://www.flyrodreel.com/blogs/tedwilliams/2010/december/science-review-raises-doubts-spotted

To be clear, I'm not looking to start a partisan bickering-match---it's my belief (or my hope, anyway) that the environment ought to trump political ideology.  I just got my hopes up that this president might finally get us on course, and like a lot of other folks, I'm a bit underwhelmed after two years of... well, almost nothing.

#2 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

whatever someones political leaning - this is another example of politicians playing politics and not listening to science.  We see this time and time again from both sides of the aisle.  Business and Profits trump Science and Conservation.  As a scientist - this offends me.

Thanks for the article

#3 YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

I don't think we should expect any politician to work for the environment by their own free will.  This is politics after all and without the serious application of pressure by voters and environmental lobbyists, we can hope for change all we want, but it just won't happen.  That said, politics and science can be a dangerous mix and the way I see things going these days the merging of the two is steadily killing the public perception of science because too many scientists leave their chosen role and get too deeply involved in politics, only to lose their credibility as scientists in the process.  I'm all for scientists advising governments on issues that depend on the application of good science, but there is a fine line here and it's hard for even the most objective scientist not to have some political bias enter the equation even when they are acting in the role of adviser.  No simple solution to this one I fear.

#4 BlueJayJoe

BlueJayJoe

BlueJayJoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

As noted, politics are politics.  Whatever you choose to believe is up to you, and I could go round and round with anyone anytime on the issues, but obviously that's not what we're doing here.  The fact is, a politician cares about one thing......him or herself.  They will say whatever they have to say to better themselves, and when they don't follow through, they will lie to make themself look better.  Scientists in most cases are involved in politics, so they will lie to help their side (global warming, ethanol, etc.).  Partisan politics is worse then ever, and you as an american citizen are only going to know as much as you let yourself.  If you stick with local news, you will be in the dark.  Our local news here is so bad its rediculous.  They only report what they want you to know, and turn a blind eye to some pretty serious stuff.  A good example pertains to our environment here in Wisconsin, Milwaukee is perticular.  Over the summer, a construction worker was caught on camera dropping a concrete block into an urban area of a river.  The walls/banks of this river are made of these blocks.  The media (who is tilted VERY liberal) made a huge deal about this man "polluting" the water, to the extend of the worker being fired, and the company having to retrieve the block from the river.  They could not determine which one it was amongst a large pile of them at the bottom.  Now, about 1/2 mile up river is a large drain pipe.  Earlier that week, the local sewerage district (run by the VERY liberal government here) dumped about 2 billion gallons of raw sewage into the river, which leads to Lake Michigan.  The media turned a blind eye to this, and never mentioned a word.  Now, you tell me what is worse, a concrete block, or 2 billion gallons of sewage?

All in all, for situations like the spotted owl, it's a tough call.  The main thing is developement into habitat that is critical for certain species of birds and animals.  The way of life these days is secluded homes and yards, and to fulfill the needs of people, the woods is being destroyed.  Then these people have the audacity to complain about the lack of city water and sewer, no street lights, and deer eating their precious bushes.  So, then comes MORE construction, and sharp shooters to kill the deer.  Its all about money, and as we all know, money is not in abundance these days, so conservation is going to be an even harder thing to accomplish. 

#5 Julie H

Julie H

Julie H

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz Mountains, CA

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

After losing ten years of my life to fighting for forest health, sensitive species, enduring endless agency meeting and surviving a lawsuit, it appears that it's business as usual for the timber industry. Even common sense is thrown out the window when someone or some company wants to log the hell out of "their" property, no matter what it does to wildlife, soil erosion, forest fire issues, 40 ton log-truck traffic issues, what have you....

One thing I did learn, you NEVER tell an agency, timber company or rogue tree-cutter, where a special species can be located. These fine upstanding folks will go in there and "take out" that species if it interferes with their income. $$$$$ is the focus.

Sigh

Julie

#6 YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

YourBirdOasis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

I don't think it is fair or accurate to say that scientists are involved in politics in most cases, let alone that they simply lie to help their side.  I will acknowledge that this does happen, but to me those people are not being scientists at that moment, they are playing politics and lying is par for the course in that twisted game.

#7 BlueJayJoe

BlueJayJoe

BlueJayJoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

I totally agree with you, and let me clarify that I was not insinuating that MOST are liers, my appologies if it came across that way.  I was talking more on the line of the politically involved studies, such as global warming.  When a topic like that becomes a political subject, and political parties start using it as running points, then the "science" of it becomes less science and more lying.  It's a shame, and the environment never benefits from it, and in some cases the impact is negative.

#8 julio5leon

julio5leon

julio5leon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

I definitely agree with you BlueJayJoe. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users