#1 Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hey y'all! I'm making a trip to the Everglades in either the end of March or the first of April. Any ideas what part of the Everglades State Park would be the best birding/nesting sites? Any rare birds I should look out for? Thanks for your help!  Smile

#2 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

It really depends on what part of the Everglades you're visiting.  If you're coming in from Florida City, you definitely want to visit the Anhinga Trail.  There are hundreds of waterbirds there that are semi-habituated, so you'll get nice, close looks.  It's at the Ernest Coe Visitor Center just 4 miles from the main park entrance.  If you drive all the way to Flamingo, there are a ton of trails you can walk and/or bike along the way.  I read that you can find Mangrove Cuckoo at the end of the Snake Bight trail.  I also saw my first Short-tailed Hawk at the Mahogany Hammock boardwalk.

If you'll be on Tamiami Trail, a visit to the Shark Valley area is probably worth it.  There are a number of trails you can walk or bike there.  There's also a tram tour, but I found that the guides talk too much and don't point out wildlife enough.  I had a pretty good bird walk at Big Cypress Bend, too, up near Everglades City.  Got a great look at a Barred Owl, a pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks, and saw my first American Redstart, among others.

If you visit one of the ranger stations, ask about birding opportunities, and they should have a decent amount of literature for you.  Have fun!

#3 Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, I am really excited! I'll be there 4 days and 3 nights. I am going to start on the Florida City side and try to come back up the Everglades City side. I would love to see a Mangrove Cuckoo. Also, I have never seen a Short-Tailed Hawk or an American Redstart so that would be great! I want to check off as many birds on the state park list as I can. I also would love to see a Florida Panther and An American Crocodile!

Thanks for your suggestions!

God Bless, Kim   :)

#4 Corbett

Corbett

Corbett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

I agree with lyceel on all of those stops. Also, Eco Pond near Flamingo is good, and Paurotis Pond has a lot of wood storks and roseate spoonbills. Definitely ask about recent sightings at any nature centers you stop at. When I was in the everglades (a few years ago) the people at the centers pointed me to lots good birding spots. They also know nest or roost locations for owls and others. 

Florida Panther is tough to see. You could get lucky though. On the other hand, American Crocodiles are fairly easy to see near Flamingo. You can ask there for the exact location.

Sounds like a fun trip. 

#5 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Corbett:

Also, Eco Pond near Flamingo is good

Unfortunately, it's not so good anymore.  We walked around it, and didn't really see much.  From what I heard, something happened to the water with one of the recent storms.

Corbett:

Florida Panther is tough to see. You could get lucky though.

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't base the success of the trip on seeing one.  "Elusive" doesn't begin to describe them.

Just another quick thought.  If you can bring a bicycle, there are a lot of bike-friendly trails (including Snake Bight, for example).  Some of the trails can get pretty long, and a bike would make the miles go much easier.

#6 Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for all the great tips! I will post pics of anything we see. Y'all will probably have to identify them  :)

#7 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

Southerncowgirlkim:

Thanks for all the great tips! I will post pics of anything we see. Y'all will probably have to identify them  :)

Looking forward to it!

I'm heading back down the first weekend of March myself for a photo workshop.  I'll let you know what we find!

#8 Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Awesome! Thanks, lyceel!  :)

#9 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

My trip report is in the Photo Sharing forum.  Here's a link...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users