14 replies to this topic

#1 Jonji3

Jonji3

Jonji3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hello. I am wondering if anyone can help me identify a bird I saw this morning. The bird appeared to be black (though it may have been a dark gray or brown) and the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of its wings were white. It was larger than a blue jay, but smaller than a small crow. It was near a stream that runs by the county office complex, flying over the parking lot towards the water, and I lost sight of it once it crossed the stream. It was about 20 feet up, and flying at a good pace. This was in the Hudson Valley area of NY.

Thank you!

#2 Guest_Janeybug_*

Guest_Janeybug_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

It's hard to say.  GO here http://identify.what.../_/0/attrs.aspx and start by choosing your location in the attributes, then from there choose all the other things you know about the bird and it will narrow your search to possible birds.  Then you can click on them an look at the pictures to see if you can find him.

#3 WotsiFish

WotsiFish

WotsiFish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Could it have been a belted kingfisher? They are dark blue not black. Which side of the wings were white? Google images of belted kingfisher and tell me what you think!

#4 Jonji3

Jonji3

Jonji3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

It was the right size for a king fisher, but the color was wrong. The entire end of wings (top and bottom) from the tips to about 1/3 of the way up was white. Have been checking out images on many different sites, but no luck so far.

#5 Joe Morlan

Joe Morlan

Joe Morlan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

How about Bobolink?  Size is wrong but very hard to judge.

#6 Gary MacQueston

Gary MacQueston

Gary MacQueston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

I just saw a bird similar to what the original poster described. It seemed to be a type of dove, about 18" long, black except for partial white wings from tip to 1/3 or 1/2 back. Beak and feet were orange, and it had a white stripe or band on each side of its head, and on top of its head. It had a green band on its right leg. It also had slight green iridescence on its upper back.

It had the look of a dove, slim head, neck and body. It turned its head at least 180 degrees to check things out from time to time. It was not easily frightened. It landed on my roof and watched us stare at it for quite a while, long enough to pull out the binoculars and take a few digital photos. Couldn't find it in my bird book....I live in Somers, CT 4 miles from the Mass. State line near Springfield.

#7 Linda Hutchison

Linda Hutchison

Linda Hutchison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

I live in Wilmington, NC and I have also seen a black bird with white wings in our yard this week. It looks like a standard black bird, but the wings were white. Quite a striking contrast and pretty bird.  He was visiting our feeders for the morning but haven' seen it since then. It looks nothing like the kingfisher or the bobolink.  It disappeared before my husband could get a picture.

#8 featherbrain

featherbrain

featherbrain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Wow, this is getting very confusing, any of you wanting to ID a bird other than the original poster, please start another topic so that it will be easier for us to reply to you individually.

I'm thinking maybe a Pileated Woodpecker??

Here's a pic I took a while back:

Attached Files

#9 kkiilts

kkiilts

kkiilts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Hi, see my posting

??? on a bird

Not that if gives more info but same description.

#10 Hank Peters

Hank Peters

Hank Peters

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Check a black billed magpie

#11 EmilyRose

EmilyRose

EmilyRose

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAkron, OH

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Gary, while you'll probably get better results in your own thread, sounds like your bird might have been a domestic dove.  It sounds like it could have been a rock dove.  Can you post this in a new thread with the photos?  

#12 MoJoWaxSwinger

MoJoWaxSwinger

MoJoWaxSwinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:37 AM

That is a really cool photo of a Pileated!

Just throwing this out there.....  crows and blackbirds can often have leusistic feathers, seemingly more-so than in other species.

#13 birds

birds

birds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

My 5-year old nephew has seen a black bird (bigger than a crow but smaller than a hawk) with white stripes on its wings. He is eager to know the name of the bird. Please let me know as soon as possible.

#14 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

This thread is four years old.  Best to start a new one.

#15 Hunter fisher

Hunter fisher

Hunter fisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

I was in Canada last week North of Kenora an hour near the town of White Dog and i saw a bird exactly like you discribed. White tiped wings, black colored bird larger than a blue jay and smaller than a crow or raven. Have you ever figured out what bird this is? Ed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users