#1 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

I was in Lyceel's backyard last week and had a blast.  I was there in September 2008, so didn't get a big life list boost, but got lots of improvement shots.  Can't start this thread with any other bird than Lyceel's avatar.... funny thing was that in the week I was on Sanibel Island, I only saw one of these.  Taken at the Ding Darling WLR.

#1 Green Heron

Attached Files

• Attached File  GRHE.jpg   346.69KB   0 downloads

#2 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

On everyone's life list and most birding outings.  These were taken at the local grocery store:

#2 House Sparrow

Attached Files

#3 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

A rare tropical bird, also caught at the market

#3 Mourning Dove

Attached Files

• Attached File  MODO.jpg   191.57KB   0 downloads

#4 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

Parking lot birding is always great, in Florida you get occasional visitors from Europe.

#4 European Starling

Attached Files

• Attached File  EUST.jpg   164.54KB   0 downloads

#5 IDOL

IDOL

IDOL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

Matt:

#3 Mourning Dove

Rare?!!? 

Great photos (all of them)-next time, you need to head to MY side of the state Big Smile

#6 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

Great report, Matt!  I'm sure Lyceel is SO jealous!

Absolutely incredible captures on those rarities!  Geeked

#7 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,493 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

I likes these! I can't wait to see more.

So did you actually meet Lyceel? Or were you just sneaking around his "backyard"? Wink

#8 KCollin105

KCollin105

Col. Weed

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationMelrose, Florida

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

I will be sneaking around in his backyard on the 11 - 13 of March. Going to a photography workshop put on by John Shaw.

#9 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

IDOL:
Matt:

#3 Mourning Dove

Rare?!!? 

Of Course ...Rare... If you over cook them... they get tough.  After all he said... 'caught at the market'

Fraser

#10 IDOL

IDOL

IDOL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Photgog:
IDOL:

Rare?!!? 

Of Course ...Rare... If you over cook them... they get tough.  After all he said... 'caught at the market'

Fraser

LMAO--now THAT kind of rare, I can believe (and enjoy!) Mourning doves are a dime a dozen around here, so hearing them referred to as a 'rare tropical bird' kinda gave me the giggles. Big Smile

#11 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

IDOL:
Photgog:
IDOL:

Rare?!!? 

Fraser

LMAO--now THAT kind of rare, I can believe (and enjoy!) Mourning doves are a dime a dozen around here, so hearing them referred to as a 'rare tropical bird' kinda gave me the giggles. Big Smile

Well... you also must factor... that Matt... as good a guy that he is... has been known to... well... How best to say this... If he was a deck of cards... I would not want to play solitaire.  (Dropped on his head as a child)

ALSO... remember that he is out of his element... in the Tropical environs of Florida.  A guy like this... from Arizona... is just not going to make the right decisions... day by day.    I know him... I realize where he is... in his head... TROPICS... Takes time to adjust.   (I wonder if he is still taking his tablets)

Eraser

#12 Bird Whisperer

Bird Whisperer

Bird Whisperer

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

Now, now, Fraser, we must be accepting of all kinds of people. ;)

Matt -- I hope these weren't the only things you saw down south... What other "rarities" did you find in that great varied bird refuge known as Florida?

#13 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

First, I did not contact lyceel before the trip for a couple of reasons, first, I was on the west coast, I believe that he is on the east.  Second, I was a guest of my sister and brother-in-law and was not in control of my time so could not make advanced commitments.  Fraser doesn't know it yet, but when I shake the contract that I am currently involved in we will head cross country and buy lyceel a meal... and yes, bird with him hopefully.

My organization of this thread was to first publish the birds I get here in the Phoenix metro area.  My naivete in 2008 was anticipating that every bird I would see would be unique.  I need to process all my pics before I can move on to birds outside of my metro area, and then my lifebirds. 

IDOL, my rare comment was a Big Smile moment.  It is a bit of a dig against myself.  On my Texas trip a few months ago I made the mistake of not shooting every species.  I have no business making field assumptions only to find out that I missed an opportunity.  

This bird is my avatar and caught in my backyard.  I think its odd that, like the Green Heron, the only one I saw.  Got lucky that I saw it as it was deep in a tree.

#5 Black-crowned Night-Heron

Attached Files

• Attached File  BCNH.jpg   240.05KB   0 downloads

#14 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

#6 Northern Mockingbird

Will be interesting at the end of the thread if a Floridian says, odd that I didn't get a certain species.  

Attached Files

• Attached File  NOMO.jpg   237.13KB   0 downloads

#15 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

#7 Pied-billed Grebe

I was surprised at how prolific these guys were.  I saw them everywhere.  We have them here, but maybe only 10% of the density I saw in Florida.

Attached Files

• Attached File  PBGR.jpg   203.61KB   0 downloads

#16 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

#8 Eurasian Collared-Dove

Very poor shot of a very common bird.

Attached Files

• Attached File  EUCD.jpg   235.26KB   0 downloads

#17 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

I will end the evening with

#9 Cattle Egret

Ever since lyceel published his white egret/heron collection I wanted to duplicate that series.  I was desperately looking for a first year Little Blue Heron.  I looked at the legs of this one and said, not Snowy, so must be.... I was wrong.  This was a Cattle.  I saw two Cattle Egrets on the trip.  Both of them had the look of a Snowy.  Cattles in Arizona look a lot more like the profile of a Green Heron, short, thick, bigger chested.  This bird literally walked within four feet of me, totally fearless.  It was fun watching it hunt. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  CAEG.jpg   251.58KB   0 downloads

#18 IDOL

IDOL

IDOL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

Matt:

#6 Northern Mockingbird

Will be interesting at the end of the thread if a Floridian says, odd that I didn't get a certain species.  

that's our state bird...glad you got one of him! (odd that you didn't get......KIDDING!! I'll wait till later to start asking "Where's the picture of the______________?" )

Great shots so far!!Big Smile

#19 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

Matt:

I will end the evening with

#9 Cattle Egret

Ever since lyceel published his white egret/heron collection I wanted to duplicate that series.  I was desperately looking for a first year Little Blue Heron.  I looked at the legs of this one and said, not Snowy, so must be.... I was wrong.  This was a Cattle.  I saw two Cattle Egrets on the trip.  Both of them had the look of a Snowy.  Cattles in Arizona look a lot more like the profile of a Green Heron, short, thick, bigger chested.  This bird literally walked within four feet of me, totally fearless.  It was fun watching it hunt. 

Nice shots and trip, Matt!  If you want a juvie LBH you should take a trip to San Diego, or, as they call it on my owl chat, "Sandy Eggo"

#20 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

More common birds,

#10 Common Moorhen

#11 American Coot

Attached Files