#1 Kaysei

Kaysei

Kaysei

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Locationsouth GA yall

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

I hung up a finch sock pre-filled w/ nyjer seed a few weeks ago, but nobody wants it.  I've got plenty of house finches around, and I've even had a few goldfinches from time to time. I thought they would go crazy over it, but I've yet to see a single bird try it.  Do I need to give it more time or maybe place it somewhere by itself?  I've also got tube feeders w/ mixed seed, a single feeder w/ black oil sunflower seed (nobody likes it much either?!), and the suet cage for the woodpeckers.  The house finches have started coming up to my back steps, sitting on the railing, and even drinking out of the dog's water bucket.  They probably want me to come out and take down that stupid sock. Big Smile

On another note, the sparrows have just disappeared.  I guess they don't like anything I've got out now.  That doesn't bother me too much though. 

#2 cwj2323

cwj2323

Still birding, but not as active at forum

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

It must just be the birds or something.  The finch sock was never really popular here either and we gave it several months.   The goldfinches would rather eat off the ground. Actually, most of the birds seem to rather eat off the ground.  Even woodpeckers forgoing the suet for the few peanuts in our mix.  We have a platform feeder and only the house finches and mourning doves go in that.  Because we were going to be away for awhile, we put up a couple tube feeders so the grackles wouldn't eat everything right off.  We do see a few house finches and goldfinches try those. 

#3 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,156 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

The Finch Socks have worked well for me. I put the first one out about 3 yrs. ago, after having had a tube feeder for a year. There were too many American Goldfinches for one tube feeder, so I added a sock and they took to it right away. Another plus was that Lesser Goldfinches came to the sock as well...never had one feed at the tube feeder. This year I added another sock, and both socks and the tube feeder have been covered with Goldfinches, and House Finches feed on the socks as well.

#4 Desertthorn

Desertthorn

Desertthorn

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Thank you for this post. I hung a finch sock up here in Washington and it's been ignored completely. I think we have lazy birds who don't want to work for their meal. I'm going to move it out and then forget it. 

#5 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

i am over run with pine siskins and goldfinches and house finches and cassins finches this winter and spring. many times more than i have ever had. I am buying the big bags of nyger or thistle and refilling socks daily. use two socks and one tube feeder with boss daily and they are also almost emptying a tube feeder of sunflower hulled seeds and bits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users