17 replies to this topic

#1 Channy32

Channy32

Channy32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

I was so excited that I had several goldfinches at my sunflower feeder!!  I had ordered a finch feeder, had the nyjer ready, got it the next day, put it up, and they disappeared!!  just like that!! They're GONE!  It's been up for about two weeks now and hasn't been touched.  Not even by any other finches! 

What happened???

#2 dedwards

dedwards

dedwards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

Yeah, we were talking about this in a different thread. They're very peculiar sometimes. Year before last I only had a few and they didn't hang around much past March. Last year I had abunch of them, up to twnty at a time and mid-April disappeared not to be seen again til February this year. This year I've consistently had 6-8 since Feb that are still hanging around. Hard to figure them out.

#3 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

I've had that experience so many times with different birds.  I see them, get the stuff, they're gone! :(

Our Goldfinches have made an exodus as well.  I've only spied a couple here and there around the yard, but even with their preferred seed, they are not coming around.  They were here in vast numbers in the winter, though.  

#4 hbvol

hbvol

hbvol

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Mine are pretty much gone too.  I see one pair every 2 to 3 days.  I normally had 5-10 every day in March.  I saw one yesterday while doing some birding in a remote area. I think they dispersed to nest.  Keep the thistle seed, they'll be back.

#5 Channy32

Channy32

Channy32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

It's so weird.  I had two or three for probably two or three days, I put up the nyjer and BAM, they were gone!!  I still have it hanging in hopes they will be back.

#6 jtee2

jtee2

jtee2

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Goldfinches are eating the Dandilion seeds at this time ,not to worry they will be back .

#7 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

You're right.  I did catch them eating some dandelions a bit ago.  It was funny watching them trying to land on the dandelions.

#8 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Yeah I had about a dozen at my sock feeder for 2-3 months but about 2 mos ago they disappeared; just as well as the nyjer seed makes a big mess!  I bought a couple of those big cake feeder blocks that don't make a mess, and my House Finches love to pick the seeds out of them

#9 FLJohnson

FLJohnson

FLJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have had several goldfinches coming to my feeder since early spring, everyday, waiting in line to get to the nyger. For the past week, they have all but disappeared. I see perhaps an isolated one about once or twice a day on nearby low trees, but they never go to the feeder now.

#10 dedwards

dedwards

dedwards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

This time of year I think they have lots of naturally occuring food choices, plus they may have moved to cooler climes. I'm betting they don't like our heat indeces which have been runnin to 100+ lately.

#11 nono0606

nono0606

nono0606

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:27 AM

Im not sure were all you folks are, however here in Ontario, aswell as all parts of there nesting territory Amarican Goldfinches are very late nesters. They don't typically begin to nest unitll later in July, or the peak of thistle seed maturation. I just bought three huge bags of niger today, I better keep or attract some more Siskins... I had mix niger in there and boy they are picky, they better eat the 6 feeders that are now full with seed about the same price as gold :P I wish I had more cover in my yard for them, count yourselfs lucky you dont have to dump out feeders all year long cause hardly no one comes.  :( 

#12 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

No lack of Goldfinches here!  In fact, now that it's their breeding season, the males look even brighter than a month or so ago.  And, rather than the "squeeking" they usually do....their singing is incredible and beautiful!  Especially welcome to hear since many of the other migrants have gone fairly quiet lately!

#13 dedwards

dedwards

dedwards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Now we know where they've all gone. I'm still seeing 1 or 2 occasionally but that's about it. Guess they got tired of this oppressive heat.

#14 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

We have gone whole summers without even approaching 90 degrees.....this year, we've been near 90 for all of July.....not nearly as bad as you folk south of us tho......Maybe you can make a cut-out of this pic and post it on your feeders... Wink

Attached Files

#15 nono0606

nono0606

nono0606

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

It's been pretty cool and muggy here.... Im sure I don't have any because they are off nesting, and the Siskins oh those buggers don't get me started on them... I go from feeding a dozen out of a feeder im holding, to none, to two or three.

#16 dedwards

dedwards

dedwards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:18 AM

sandylee:
We have gone whole summers without even approaching 90 degrees.....this year, we've been near 90 for all of July.....not nearly as bad as you folk south of us tho......Maybe you can make a cut-out of this pic and post it on your feeders... Wink
Nice pic!

#17 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

Thanks, dedwards!

#18 stewie

stewie

stewie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

We have had the same experience with Gold Finches and Pine Siskins. They seem to flock in and then disappear. We once had a few Gold Finches coming most of one winter.

I bought a 4 pound bag of nyjer seed and it lasted over 2 years, the last pound I mixed with the mixed bird seed to get rid of it.

Gold Finches and Pine Siskins will eat black oil seed quite readily. We now put out mixed bird seed, black oil seed, home made suet and a peanut feeder. We get a wide variety of birds with these foods, including Finches and Pine Siskins.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users