Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Channy32

My goldfinches disappeared!!!

18 posts in this topic

I was so excited that I had several goldfinches at my sunflower feeder!!  I had ordered a finch feeder, had the nyjer ready, got it the next day, put it up, and they disappeared!!  just like that!! They're GONE!  It's been up for about two weeks now and hasn't been touched.  Not even by any other finches! 

What happened???

Yeah, we were talking about this in a different thread. They're very peculiar sometimes. Year before last I only had a few and they didn't hang around much past March. Last year I had abunch of them, up to twnty at a time and mid-April disappeared not to be seen again til February this year. This year I've consistently had 6-8 since Feb that are still hanging around. Hard to figure them out.

I've had that experience so many times with different birds.  I see them, get the stuff, they're gone! :(

Our Goldfinches have made an exodus as well.  I've only spied a couple here and there around the yard, but even with their preferred seed, they are not coming around.  They were here in vast numbers in the winter, though.  

Mine are pretty much gone too.  I see one pair every 2 to 3 days.  I normally had 5-10 every day in March.  I saw one yesterday while doing some birding in a remote area. I think they dispersed to nest.  Keep the thistle seed, they'll be back.

It's so weird.  I had two or three for probably two or three days, I put up the nyjer and BAM, they were gone!!  I still have it hanging in hopes they will be back.

You're right.  I did catch them eating some dandelions a bit ago.  It was funny watching them trying to land on the dandelions.

Yeah I had about a dozen at my sock feeder for 2-3 months but about 2 mos ago they disappeared; just as well as the nyjer seed makes a big mess!  I bought a couple of those big cake feeder blocks that don't make a mess, and my House Finches love to pick the seeds out of them

I have had several goldfinches coming to my feeder since early spring, everyday, waiting in line to get to the nyger. For the past week, they have all but disappeared. I see perhaps an isolated one about once or twice a day on nearby low trees, but they never go to the feeder now.

This time of year I think they have lots of naturally occuring food choices, plus they may have moved to cooler climes. I'm betting they don't like our heat indeces which have been runnin to 100+ lately.

Im not sure were all you folks are, however here in Ontario, aswell as all parts of there nesting territory Amarican Goldfinches are very late nesters. They don't typically begin to nest unitll later in July, or the peak of thistle seed maturation. I just bought three huge bags of niger today, I better keep or attract some more Siskins... I had mix niger in there and boy they are picky, they better eat the 6 feeders that are now full with seed about the same price as gold :P I wish I had more cover in my yard for them, count yourselfs lucky you dont have to dump out feeders all year long cause hardly no one comes.  :( 

No lack of Goldfinches here!  In fact, now that it's their breeding season, the males look even brighter than a month or so ago.  And, rather than the "squeeking" they usually do....their singing is incredible and beautiful!  Especially welcome to hear since many of the other migrants have gone fairly quiet lately!

Now we know where they've all gone. I'm still seeing 1 or 2 occasionally but that's about it. Guess they got tired of this oppressive heat.

We have gone whole summers without even approaching 90 degrees.....this year, we've been near 90 for all of July.....not nearly as bad as you folk south of us tho......Maybe you can make a cut-out of this pic and post it on your feeders... Wink

post-6427--1796461744_thumb.jpg

It's been pretty cool and muggy here.... Im sure I don't have any because they are off nesting, and the Siskins oh those buggers don't get me started on them... I go from feeding a dozen out of a feeder im holding, to none, to two or three.

icon-quote.gif
sandylee:
We have gone whole summers without even approaching 90 degrees.....this year, we've been near 90 for all of July.....not nearly as bad as you folk south of us tho......Maybe you can make a cut-out of this pic and post it on your feeders...
Wink

Nice pic!

We have had the same experience with Gold Finches and Pine Siskins. They seem to flock in and then disappear. We once had a few Gold Finches coming most of one winter.

I bought a 4 pound bag of nyjer seed and it lasted over 2 years, the last pound I mixed with the mixed bird seed to get rid of it.

Gold Finches and Pine Siskins will eat black oil seed quite readily. We now put out mixed bird seed, black oil seed, home made suet and a peanut feeder. We get a wide variety of birds with these foods, including Finches and Pine Siskins.