2 replies to this topic

#1 Marcialyn

Marcialyn

Marcialyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Just a quick question: At what point does a person say yes it is this species,: at 70 % sure or 90 or 100% match of field marks? Sibley's book mentions the Gizz(sp?) of a bird..is that enough to add it to the life list?  Say you have all but one mark, so 9 out of 10 -I guess it depends on what the missing mark is? And to clarify, I am including the habitat type and species behavior as a mark. Thankyou-Marcialyn

#2 Ephily

Ephily

Ephily

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

It would depend on a case by case basis, in some cases you can eliminate all other birds, so although your bird only matches 90% its the only one that can be. Other cases there might be similar birds, so you need to be 100% sure.

If you need help with a specific case, please post your question on the forum.

#3 Marcialyn

Marcialyn

Marcialyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

Thankyou Ephily, 

I  am trying hard to do this right. I contribute to ebird website, but not until I am really sure. I made the mistake (once)! on ebird of listing a hooded Merganser and got ALL kinds of bells and whistles  (had not received my field guide yet and was using a library book) when it was a common Merg. Probably a typical newbie mistake.

Yes, if I get really stuck I will post but for now I will keep going to the vernal pond and watch this guy and just keep at it and also use the sound files online as well.  Again Thankyou for your reply,

Marcialyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users