Photo
- - - - -

something like a fancy willet... and glossy ibis? (no, white-faced)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationAmerican Canyon, CA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

What kind of shorebird has this fancy of a back pattern?

On another topic, last year in the Sierra foothills, we saw something that we visually IDed as glossy ibis... but the best picture I got was pretty poor.

Is that sufficient for confirmation?

I'm going back to the same place this weekend -- maybe I'll see them again.  There were sandhill cranes there too.

#2 nono0606

nono0606

nono0606

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Id call that an adult Willet in breeding plumes and I agree with juv Glossy Ibis.

#3 kozmik111

kozmik111

kozmik111

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

What would make you say this is a glossy ibis over a white faced? Glossy are very rare out west and there is a year round population of white-faced in the sierras

#4 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

maybe... I looked through dozens of willet pictures without finding anything like those back spots... though I think I found a rough match eventually.

#5 Harrier

Harrier

Harrier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

The willet is molting out if its dark breeding plumage into gray nonbreeding, so it appears to have spots.

#6 kozmik111

kozmik111

kozmik111

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

There is no doubt that pic #1 is a willet in late breeding plumage

#7 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

kozmik111:
What would make you say this is a glossy ibis over a white faced? Glossy are very rare out west and there is a year round population of white-faced in the sierras

Huh.  We didn't get that close; we probably saw it as a better match for glossy than white-faced just because most of them looked very dark.  I didn't at the time look at the range map.

#8 nono0606

nono0606

nono0606

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

The Ibis I'm most likely incorrect about it was just a guess the bill seemed a little off for white-faced to me, I can't say I looked at the range map either. Here is a picture of a Willet in similar plumes...

Attached Files

#9 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

kozmik111:

Well, I got back to the same place a year later, and this time I got good pictures of the ibises.  (Or is that "ibes"?)  These alleged white-faced ibises do not show any trace of white faces...

But when I took a deliberately overexposed picture to bring out the colors, which were pretty near pure black to the naked eye...

...it looks like the irises might be red.  If so that confirms white-faced, right?

#10 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,610 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

You are right about the red iris Paul. That confirms White-faced. It would be an extreme rarity to have that many Glossy Ibis in California at one time.

#11 doc

doc

doc

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

I have never seen a "white faced" ibis with a white face.  And, after being used to dull grey Willets, I was astounded when I saw one in breeding plumage....... sure looks like a different bird when it's all duded up!

#12 ginspin16

ginspin16

ginspin16

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

lol i said the same thing about the first willet i saw that wasn't during winter, i thought i had a new lifer

#13 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

When I posted a molting willet here a few weeks ago, I had to be argued into believing that's what it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users