Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fio

How to keep Yellow Jackets from Hummingbird feeder?

4 posts in this topic

OK, I need help. I have tried a couple of ideas and no avail. In mid GA here, we are having severe drought, and water/food sources are scarce, so I knew I would be getting more wasps, bees and yellow jackets. But not swarms of them! They seem to wait for the humingbird to arrive and then five or six at a time will swarm the feeder where the bird goes to drink. They are chasing the hummers off! My neighbors are also having same issue. I think maybe the bees and jackets think the hummer will spill some nectar? I just don't know!

I hav placed a second feeder away from the first, and that one has no bee guards, but the yellow jackets still wait on birds to feed. I have also laid out two shallow trays of sweet liquid, hummingbird food, for the bugs. Many feed there, but still a bunch hover at the feeder, as if its theirs and not the birds.

Is there anything that I can use (naturally) to deter the bugs so the hummers can feed in peace?

yes, sorry, should have said that! Smile  I put two yellow jacket traps out, one is a few feet from the feeder, and a second is a good ten feet. I'm afraid that they are just not working because of the lack of rain. The yellow jackets I think are attracted to both the sugar and the liquid right now. But I do have three separate bird baths at varied heights, so I am at a loss.

Now the bees, and the paper wasps don't seem to be a big issue, the hummers come in and the wasps just flit off and come back later - but the yellow jackets are very territorial!

I even went as far as to place two more hummingbird feeders out further, in hopes that either the birds or the jackets will move to those. No luck.

If I take down the one that has attracted all the yellow jackets for a couple of days until they leave - will the hummers leave also? Or will they come back? I have a male and three females feeding here.

Hello fellow Georgian. I'm from Atlanta. I solved my problem of bees and wasps at the hummer feeder by changing the feeder type. I was using a cheap bottle type feeder and the only action at it was bees and wasps. I took it down and replaced it with a saucer type feeder similar to a "Hummzinger" feeder. The wasps and bees tongues are not long enough to reach the nectar, so they give up and go away. The hummers don't have a problem. It has a built in ant moat to keep ants out too. Mine is a Perky Pet Oasis feeder. A good gardening supply store may have one. I bought mine on-line. Another plus is that it is a whole lot easier to clean. No more bottle brushes!

Bill